Grammys features performances from Jon Batiste, Olivia Rodrigo, Silk Sonic, more

Olivia+Rodrigo+onstage+during+the+64th+Annual+Grammy+Awards+on+Sunday.+Rodrigo+won+three+Grammys+for+Best+Pop+Vocal+Album%2C+Best+New+Artist+and+Best+Pop+Solo+Performance.+

Photo courtesy of Emma McIntyre/Getty Images for The Recording Academy/TNS

Olivia Rodrigo onstage during the 64th Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday. Rodrigo won three Grammys for Best Pop Vocal Album, Best New Artist and Best Pop Solo Performance.

By Olivia Rosenberg, Assistant buzz Editor

The 64th annual Grammy Awards premiered this Sunday and was filled with exciting performances, impressive fashion and notable wins. 

Comedian and late-night host Trevor Noah hosted the event and appeared throughout the night to make commentary and jokes about the industry and the year of music being recognized. 

Broadcasted from Las Vegas, the Grammys opened with the ’70s-reminiscent soul-funk duo Silk Sonic. Members Bruno Mars and Anderson Paak performed “777” with retro outfits and a flashy, golden aesthetic. 

Silk Sonic won every award it was nominated for, taking home four trophies at the end of the night. The duo won Record and Song of the Year as well as Best R&B Performance (tied with Jasmine Sullivan) and Best R&B Song for their hit “Leave the Door Open.” 

Olivia Rodrigo won her first Grammys on Sunday and made her Grammys debut with a performance of her chart-topping hit, “Drivers License.” 

Rodrigo won Best Pop Vocal Album, Best New Artist and Best Pop Solo Performance. 

Jon Batiste took home the top prize of the night, Album of the Year for “We Are” as well as four other awards: Best R&B Album, Best Music Video, Best American Roots Performance, Best American Roots Song and Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media. 

Batiste brought a vibrant and electric performance of his hit “Freedom” to the Grammy stage. 

Doja Cat and SZA both won their first Grammys for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance for their song “Kiss Me More.” However, quickly after the win was announced, “Scammys” was trending on Twitter as fans believed boy band BTS should have won the award. 

BTS took to the stage earlier in the night with a James Bond-inspired performance of “Butter” with sharp choreography and smooth stage presence. 

Billie Eilish, nominated for seven Grammys, performed “Happier Than Ever” alongside her brother Finneas O’Connell, aka FINNEAS, who had four nominations. Eilish wore a shirt with Taylor Hawkins, drummer for the Foo Fighters, during her performance in honor of his recent passing.

The Foo Fighters were scheduled to perform during the awards but did not because of Hawkins’ tragic passing. The band won three awards that night: Best Rock Performance, Best Rock Song and Best Rock Album. 

Hawkins was further honored with a tribute during the In Memoriam segment. 

During the segment, musical theater stars Ben Platt, Cynthia Erivo, Leslie Odom Jr. and Rachel Zegler performed a medley of songs during the segment written by Stephen Sondheim, in honor of the late composer. 

Lil Nas X performed a medley of his popular songs, “Dead Right Now,” “Montero (Call Me By Your Name)” and “Industry Baby” with Jack Harlow. 

H.E.R. also played a medley on stage during the ceremony, featuring the songs “Damage,” “We Made It,” and “Are You Gonna Go My Way.” She was joined by music legends Lenny Kravitz, Travis Barker, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. 

President Zelensky of Ukraine spoke at the ceremony, asking musicians and fans to continue showing their support for the country. 

“We defend our freedom. To live. To love. To sound,” Zelensky said. “On our land, we are fighting Russia, which brings horrible silence with its bombs — the dead silence. Fill the silence with your music.”

John Legend then led a performance of his song “Free” with Ukrainian artists Mika Newton, Siuzanna Iglidan and Lyuba Yakimchuk. 

The show was filled with countless other performances from the biggest names in today’s music, including Lady Gaga, J Balvin, Justin Bieber, Nas, Chris Stapleton, Carrie Underwood and Brandi Carlisle. 

This year’s ceremony seemed to focus more on performances rather than the awards themselves, with only nine awards being presented on the live broadcast. This departure from other ceremonies was an entertaining change but left viewers confused as to why an award show wasn’t focusing more on awards. 

The Grammy Awards on Sunday was the return to the more traditional ceremony after last year’s award show was altered due to COVID-19. 

The 64th Grammy Award showcased a range of the year’s greatest songs, performers and albums throughout the evening as it honored and awarded the top artists of this Grammy season.