UI moves classes online for Thursday afternoon due to snowstorm

Snow+piles+on+the+Alma+Mater+statue+on+Feb.+2.+The+University+has+announced+that+classes+after+2+p.m.+will+be+remote.+

Sydney Laput

Snow piles on the Alma Mater statue on Feb. 2. The University has announced that classes after 2 p.m. will be remote.

By Willie Cui, Assistant Daytime Editor

In a last-minute Massmail, the University announced that all classes will be moved online and nonessential operations will stop after 2 p.m. Thursday due to “potentially dangerous levels of snow, wind and ice in the forecast.”

The Massmail said instructors who are unable to move class online should cancel class for the day or provide “alternative educational experiences” for students. 

Students who have midterm exams scheduled for Thursday afternoon or evening should be given an option to take a conflict exam if they cannot attend, according to the Massmail.

The University expects in-person classes to resume Friday morning.

Additionally, the University has decided to close all of its on-campus COVID-19 testing sites early on Thursday at 2 p.m. due to the weather and plans to reopen them Friday morning.

“Until the potentially dangerous weather situation has cleared, please let health and safety considerations — both your own and others — guide your decisions and actions,” said Chancellor Robert Jones in the Massmail.