Red Lion patron taken to hospital after altercation with staff member

An+altercation+involving+a+female+patron+and+one+of+the+bodyguards+occurred+at+Red+Lion%2C+located+on+John+Street.+

Sydney Laput

An altercation involving a female patron and one of the bodyguards occurred at Red Lion, located on John Street.

By Lilli Bresnahan, Staff Writer

On Saturday at 1:47 a.m., officers responded to a call at The Red Lion on the 200 block of East Green Street where a female patron and an employee were found injured, according to a police report from the Champaign Police Department. 

“According to on-scene reports, a female patron was escorted out of the bar for being in an unauthorized area,” according to the police report. 

After exiting the bar, the patron allegedly hit a security staff member in the head, according to the police report. The report describes that the staff member then “took her to the ground, and she hit her head on the way down.”

“Officers confirmed that the staff member had injuries consistent with being punched,” the report said. 

The female patron had a cut to the right side of her head after hitting her head due to the employee’s force. According to the report, she was taken to the hospital and was “intoxicated but talking with staff.” 

This continues to be under investigation by CPD.