Fifth annual Pygmalion Music Festival expected to draw crowd

Seth Fein is the founder and event director of Pygmalion Music Festival, which is taking place from Wednesday, Sept. 16 through Saturday, Sept. 19 in various venues all over Champaign-Urbana.

Two months.

That’s how long it took for Seth Fein to organize the first Pygmalion Music Festival back in 2005. As the assistant talent buyer at the Canopy Club and founder of The Nicodemus Agency, which books indie bands, Fein is no stranger when it comes to scouting musical talent.

However, even Fein had trouble creating the first Pygmalion Music Festival.

“It was challenging, because I had never done something like that before. I used Athfest (a music festival in Athens, Ga.) as an anchor,” Fein said. He also cited South By Southwest Festival as an inspiration.

Fast forward five years: what began as a small indie fest for local artists to showcase their music has turned into something much bigger.

The fifth annual Pygmalion Music Festival is taking place from Wednesday to Saturday. Over 6,000 people are expected to attend the four-day festival at over 15 venues across C-U, including Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, Canopy Club and several off–campus locations.

With over 60 percent of the lineup from out of town, this year’s festival will feature a number of up–and–coming bands, as well as national acts including Iron and Wine, RJD2, Lucero, Low and The Books.

For some of these artists, the experience of playing at a music festival in a small college town is as exhilarating as playing in big cities.

“The shows (on college campuses) are always fun. You get the chance to go to towns you would never be in. It’s a different vibe from clubs, where some people just want to have drinks,” said Philadelphia-based Ramble John “RJ” Krohn of RJD2, whose electronic and hip–hop blends have been featured in the films Wimbledon and Prime.

For others, the experience of playing in a college town, let alone a music festival, is less familiar.

“We are very excited about performing in Champaign,” said Janet Beveridge Bean of The Horse’s Ha. “As The Horse’s Ha, this (touring) is our freshman year.”

While members of the up–and–coming Chicago band have performed on college campuses in their respective careers, this marks the first time that The Horse’s Ha has gone on tour since the release of their debut album, “Of The Cathmawr Yards,” in June.

“We love playing live. I don’t think we’re ever going to be out there playing on a big tour circuit,” Bean said. “The music festival circuit may be really good for us. We’d definitely like to do more of that.”

While Fein once had to go around promoting the event to artists, the act has now taken a reversal.

“The biggest change has been the growth. Amongst the managements and agents, it’s a known festival. A lot of bands have heard of good things. Bands want to come play,” Fein said.

With the number of attendees and acts increasing every year, Fein said the big picture is to make the festival manageable.

“The challenge is to not let it over-rot with commercial enterprises,” Fein said. “As it gets too big it will lose its charm.”

For Fein, that charm means staying true to the indie, small town feel of the festival.

“The festival is an important contribution to the culture of Urbana,” Fein said. “It’s about having a good community and things to rally around.”

The festival features sponsors such as Krannert Center, Smile Politely and Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District, and serves as an opportunity for local businesses to get their name out there–as well as give back to the community.

For the first time, festival attendees will be given a wrist band, which will allow them to travel from one location to another for free via CUMTD buses.

“We are always very concerned with people traveling around safely, especially since people will be out late,” said Jan Kijowski, marketing director of CUMTD. Kijowski added that the public bus is a convenient means for those that will be consuming alcohol.

Maureen Reagan, the assistant director for marketing and patron services at Krannert, said the festival is about expanding the center’s program.

“It’s a terrific deal for us. We are able to offer our audiences an experience that they normally wouldn’t have. It’s a little bit different from what we do from the rest of the year,” Reagan said.

Fein said the Pygmalion experience has been rewarding. He said he believes the music festival has changed C-U’s music scene.

But don’t expect Fein to stop anytime soon.

“I want to continue to draw special artists and bands that make people scratch their heads and say, ‘Wow! Here!?'”