Chipotle habits change for some UI students

By Sarah Foster

By Alice Smelyansky and Sarah Foster
Features editor and assistant Features editor 

The line at Chipotle might get a little longer than it’s been in the past few weeks. On Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ended its investigation into E. coli, salmonella and norovirus cases linked to the chain known for “putting the food back in fast food.” ss The following day, Chipotle released its fourth quarter earnings for the fiscal year 2015, showing that the net income was $67.9 million, which resulted in a 44 percent decrease from fiscal year 2014.ss In response to the recent changes at the popular campus eatery, students weighed in on their Chipotle habits. 

What do you think about the E. coli outbreak?

Natalia Migdal — Sophomore, Engineering

“This is my second time (eating here this semester). I don’t know much about the outbreak. I heard about it hitting other states first, and then I heard about Chipotle taking a day to shut down and have a meeting. There have been times when I almost came in, and went, ‘Oh wait, E. coli.’ And then I didn’t come in. There was no one in the shop, so I was like, ‘Maybe I shouldn’t come in.’”

Samuel Chung — Sophomore, Engineering

“I haven’t been here before this semester; I just didn’t get the chance to. But what are the chances of me actually getting sick from it?”

Omer Oppenheim — Senior, AHS

“I ate Chipotle every day over the summer. I would rather die without it. I didn’t look into it that much. I wasn’t nervous because I was so misinformed on E. coli, and I didn’t know what it would do to you. At the end of the day, it’s worth the risk. I would rather live than die, but they reopened, so a big corporation isn’t going to open and then stay open if they thought there was a legitimate risk to the consumer.”

Amanda Peraud — Freshman, Media

“They didn’t have lettuce (when I came here). They ran out, and they can’t cut it themselves anymore. I’m pissed. I came here during the E. coli outbreak, and I heard it was in the tomatoes, so I just didn’t get the tomatoes, but apparently, it was in the lettuce. I love Chipotle. There was an article about (the outbreak). People would rather die than stop eating Chipotle. I’ve been back three or four times this semester.”