Spring fashion trends: 5 ways to recycle items in your closet for fresh looks

By Teryn Payne

1. The use of white pants with pops of color or patterns

Some old-fashioned rules say you should only wear white between Memorial Day and Labor Day, even though white looks amazing in the wintertime as well. Let’s just embrace those rules for a second and break out the white pants that we have been dying to wear all winter. White linen pants will look good for many occasions, especially if you have accent accessories and a nice, colorful top to complete the whole look. Turquoise and salmon look great with white bottoms.

2. Simple dresses with floral or bright-colored cardigans

A solid colored dress may seem boring, but so much can be done to turn this look into something special. Being a lover of short cardigans, I believe they can add to any simple look. Floral cardigans will be great for the spring, especially if your dress is thin-strapped or even strapless. If you don’t have a floral cardigan, you can also use a bright or pastel color, depending on the color of the dress. Colors like soft yellows, blues and even green would be great for this look.

3. Suede in the spring — No way!

Who says you can’t wear suede in the spring? I’m all about defying traditional fashion rules. With the right combinations and accessories, of course you can recycle your fall or winter suede and make it into a new look for spring. A suede miniskirt would go great with a white or light-colored button-up or even a blue jean top with strappy sandals or heels depending on the occasion.

4. Patterned Rompers and Jumpsuits

Rompers are an easy and effortless way to make a statement without having to worry about putting a whole look together. A romper will look great whether you are on your way to class or meeting friends for dinner. You can dress it up with jewelry or dress it down with a denim jacket and nice sandals while still being fashionable.

5. Midi and circle skirts

Depending on your preference of tight or flowy, you can mix those skirts with a nice, simple top and a jacket if you like. Whether you want to wear a blouse or an off-the-shoulder, it will go great with long skirts depending on the occasion. Long skirts are versatile and will be appropriate for a variety of functions.

The next time you say to yourself, “I don’t have anything to wear,” just take a deep breath and look through the clothes you already have. Don’t be afraid to mix combinations you never thought would go well together — you might be very surprised with the results!