Off-campus organizations allow flexibility in volunteering

Xavier+Gourdine%2C+a+freshman+in+Computer+Science%2C+stocks+food+while+volunteering+at+the+Eastern+Illinois+Foodbank+in+Urbana+on+Tuesday+afternoon.+

Brian Bauer

Xavier Gourdine, a freshman in Computer Science, stocks food while volunteering at the Eastern Illinois Foodbank in Urbana on Tuesday afternoon.

By Melissa Wagner, Contributing Writer

Students trying to make a difference may not always have the time to commit to a service organization or registered student organization. However, various organizations around Champaign-Urbana provide alternative options.

“We are happy to tailor a volunteering experience to a specific person’s talents and comfort level,” said Chelsea Anorma, co-founder of Adventists in Action. “Also, since we are a new organization, there are positions available for students who would want a more regular volunteering commitment directing fundraising efforts or website development or publicity.”

Adventists in Action is one of many organizations in the area that offers a variety of volunteering opportunities. Twice a month, it holds an event called “Bags for Hugs” during which it puts together lunches for members of low-income communities and distributes them while singing, dancing and socializing.

The Eastern Illinois Foodbank is another organization that provides free food to members of the community.

Kristin Costello, development relations manager of the foodbank,  said that they look for volunteers who are able to bend, lift and stand for long periods of time, but that most jobs can be modified for anyone who wants to help.

“Our most frequent opportunity is helping repack bulk food in our warehouse. Our repacks are held at the Foodbank, generally on a Tuesday or Thursday from 5:30-7:30 p.m.,” Costello said. “Many folks comment that they won’t have to go to the gym the next day.”

For the environmentalists on and around campus, the Champaign County Forest Preserve District is always looking for volunteers. Volunteer coordinator Kristin Tetzlaff said they have a diverse range of opportunities, from assisting as an educator for their program series for preschool and school-aged youth to going out into one of the five preserves as a trail steward and removing invasive species.

Students who want to make an impact more locally can also look into working at the Champaign Public Library. The library works closely with the University of Illinois’ Graduate School of Library Information Science program, according to volunteer coordinator Eva Liu.

Liu said most of their positions were filled two weeks after the semester began, but there are more available. 

“We have students in different fields of studies help out library staffs doing office work, shelving library books and DVDs, assisting staff with children story time or after school programs, helping library customers using computers or assisting staff with cleaning library bookshelves,” Liu said.

The C-U volunteer website is a great resource for anyone looking to plan a volunteering experience. The calendar is updated frequently with events from over 250 organizations and includes information about the task and location. It is organized down to the hour, so it’s easy to find something for whatever window of time you are available. The majority of organizations do not require a membership, although some request that potential volunteers fill out short forms prior to the event so they know how many people to expect.

“What we look for in volunteers is a heart to serve the community and a positive, friendly attitude,” Anorma said.