Music Movement: The Accord hosts Planned Parenthood benefit concert

Local patrons enjoy a drink at the Accord during open mic night on Feb. 23.

By Mary Kate Kiley, Staff writer

Maggie Kinnamon is more than just a mom and Urbana teacher — she’s also a political activist seeking to have her voice heard.

Kinnamon organized the upcoming Planned Parenthood benefit concert at The Accord. The event will run Friday from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m., and all donations will go toward the Planned Parenthood national fund.

The benefit concert will host local musicians like Mike Ingram and Chris Davies and will feature the women’s wrestling group C.L.A.W. The event was created by Kinnamon, who has a strong opposition to Vice President Mike Pence’s push for the defunding of Planned Parenthood.

By channeling her frustration into organizing the event, she has been able to create a powerful movement throughout the community.

“I knew right away Planned Parenthood is in jeopardy … Music is a unifying thing that brings people together, so I thought, ‘Let’s do a benefit concert and give the funds to Planned Parenthood,’” Kinnamon said.

Kinnamon expressed her deep concerns for the program’s longevity and citizens’ access to resources, which Planned Parenthood has provided to her and her friends.

The event will also include a silent auction that includes restaurant gift certificates, theater tickets, artwork, beauty packages and other gifts. There will also be a 50 – 50 raffle. Minors are welcome with an adult.

Sharon Li, junior in ACES, decided to attend after she saw the event on Facebook and heard that the bands Winder, Ryan Groff and Take Care would be playing.

“A lot of really talented local bands are playing, and all the proceeds are going toward Planned Parenthood,” Li said.

She also noted The Accord has always brought in reputable bands and said she enjoys the atmosphere.

“It’s a really great venue. My first impression was that it’s very up-to-date and has a cool and welcoming environment to it,” Li said. “They bring in a lot of great local and national acts. I’ve gotten to see a lot of my favorite bands without having to travel to Chicago to see them.”

Immediately after the event was posted on Facebook, community members and University students contacted Kinnamon to volunteer at the event.

Kylie LaSalle, junior in ACES, currently volunteers at the local Planned Parenthood and will be volunteering to educate audience members about the services and impact the organization has on communities nationwide.

LaSalle has been politically active from a young age. She said she sees this event as a voice for her stance on Planned Parenthood, especially after the results of the recent election. 

“I have friends that go to Planned Parenthood, and it’s always a positive experience,” LaSalle said.

LaSalle acknowledged her family’s advice to never stand by and to take action when change is needed. LaSalle is hoping to educate the community about Planned Parenthood’s wide range of resources.

“I volunteer because people shouldn’t fear where they go to get certain health care,” she said. “It is something that they are entitled to. It’s also about the education. It’s a great resource in the community. People should know it’s not just abortions and condom handouts.”

During this time of political tension, many people may be scared and not sure what to do, but LaSalle is making sure the event’s message is heard because it is something she and many others stand behind.

LaSalle said she believes this event will be a peaceful and positive way to be heard and will combat the political negativity and tension.

“After the negativity of the election, it’s nice to see people come together in a peaceful and happy way and be supportive,” LaSalle said.