Orchard Downs adventures undergo recess

A+child+feeds+goats+at+Curtis+Orchard+and+Pumpkin+Patch+on+Oct.+31.+The+Orchard+Downs+Preschool+has+struggled+to+overcome+challenges+that+have+come+with+the+COVID-19+pandemic.+

Cameron Krasucki

A child feeds goats at Curtis Orchard and Pumpkin Patch on Oct. 31. The Orchard Downs Preschool has struggled to overcome challenges that have come with the COVID-19 pandemic.

By Aidan Finn, Staff Writer

Just behind the University of Illinois Arboretum and right next to the Orchard Downs residence is a little building for the littlest of C-U residents. But this corner is not bustling with usual games or adventures, but rather a new way of learning for a new era.

The Orchard Downs Preschool is a vital part of the Orchard Downs community, providing residents, typically graduate students and their families, with an option for childcare and early childhood education with a focus on pre-kindergarten readiness.

But the little corner has seen better days for play. With the impact of the pandemic still affecting schools more than a year later, the preschool environment has not been spared the need to adapt. Jeanette Weider, director of family & graduate housing for University Housing, opened up about the struggle to overcome pandemic regulations and shared her gratefulness with how things have proceeded.

“Throughout the past year, like many schools across the county, the COVID-19 pandemic has challenged the Orchard Downs Preschool,” Weider said. “But by adhering to local and state health guidelines, focusing on students’ social and emotional learning, and most importantly through teamwork, we have remained opened with very little disruption.”

Last fall, in order to proceed with operations to the safest degree possible, University Housing implemented several Preschool safety guidelines and procedures. The likes of which include required COVID-19 testing and personal protective equipment for Preschool staff, families being asked to complete wellness checks for temperature and symptoms daily before coming to school, as well as classroom furniture being spaced to meet social distancing regulations.

Chelsea Hamilton, senior assistant director of communications and marketing for University Housing, discussed the changes to individual student conduct for the preschool.

“Throughout the day, students are encouraged to keep their face covering on (which can sometimes be a little tricky as they are young, but they are allowed to remove during nap time, when eating, and outside), social distance when possible, and wash their hands frequently,” Hamilton said.

While such changes may seem like so much to put on children this little, it should be commemorated how much effort and time was put into adopting such a hands-on and physical curriculum into socially distanced learning and fun. To create and manage such a system in such a sudden space of time, to the great results currently being experienced, is nothing short of fantastic.

Beyond the current limitations, Orchard Down continues to provide a great environment for the local community and shows no signs of slowing down.

Hamilton said that since 1970, the ODP has offered a structured learning environment designed to enhance the social, emotional, physical and mental growth of preschool-age children. The daily curriculum is delivered through teacher-directed large and small group activities and both group and individual instruction. Children participate in language, letter sounds and recognition, writing, phonics, basic math skills, science, music and movement, arts and crafts and more.

Classroom sizes are around 15 children and three professional staff members (the max number of students allowed in the classroom per COVID-19 guidelines from DCFS). The base registration is $50, with the fee collected at the time of registration, which reserves a space in the classroom.

Full-day program tuition goes for $160 per week for Orchard Downs residents, with it being $200 per week for non-residents.
Orchard Down has continually provided an incredibly useful and important resource for the greater community and has not let the limitations of the pandemic hold them back. Weider hopes to continue the facility’s commitment to safety.

“The health and safety of our students and staff as well as continuing to provide our intended academic curriculum is our top priority,” Hamilton said.