The landing page of the Chambana Pride community facebook page is shown above. The lack in UI pride events prompted students to organize themselves.

Lack of UI Pride month events prompts students to community organizations

By Farrah Anderson, Assistant Investigative News & Longform Editor June 25, 2021

When Cory Simpson moved to Champaign-Urbana eight years ago, he said he was trying to get out of his hometown — a small town in Coles County, Illinois. Simpson said he grew up in a conservative household...

Students bask in the sun on the grounds of Ikenberry Commons on Aug. 21. Many students have chosen to stay on campus over the summer.

Students spend summer on campus post COVID-19

By Olivia Orlandi, Staff Writer June 4, 2021

Summers on the University campus look a lot different than fall and spring semesters. Many students go home, bars are closed during the week and campus overall feels a bit empty. Some students, however,...

People gather in protest around Alma Mater on Saturday. Supporters held signs up to support Cyrus Arnieri.

Transgender students say UI failed to address concerns about deadnaming all year, not just during graduation

By Farrah Anderson, Assistant Investigative News and Longform Editor May 25, 2021

Donning a blue and orange cap and gown, a University graduate had been warned by his mother not to get upset if his deadname was called at the ceremony. ‘Deadnaming’ is the use of a transgender or...

UI seeks to gain support for kingfisher with merchandise

By Olivia Orlandi, Staff Writer May 23, 2021

Student government is campaigning for the University’s potential new mascot, the kingfisher, by creating and distributing merchandise. The University Senate endorsed the mascot back in September,...

Illinois graduates line up in front of Alma Mater in commencement attire for a photo on Thursday. Students who graduated this past week have overcome one of the hardest years in all of their academic endeavors.

UI gives pomp to graduates during COVID-19 circumstances

By Gwyn Skiles, Features Editor May 19, 2021

After what many said was the hardest year of their academic history, graduates walked triumphantly across the stage and received their diploma. The celebration meant the world to Flavia Batista da Silva,...

Foellinger Auditorium stands tall on the Main Quad. Students get ready to say goodbye to campus as finals come around.

Prioritize health, do not sweat burnout

By Rohit Jammu, Assistant Features Editor May 6, 2021

It’s May once again and that means you’ve made it through yet another begrudging, infuriating and yet, what I hope was a complicated and fun semester. It’s been over a year since all of us have...

Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers prepares students for college

By Olivia Orlandi, Staff Writer May 5, 2021

The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and their high school outreach program have helped open doors for young Latinx students looking to attend the University and participate in the engineering...

A frozen boneless beef chuck roast sits on a wooden cutting board in the Universities Meat Science Lab. The lab supplies local residents with different kinds of products that are harvested from the University farms south of campus.

Meat Science Laboratory sells products from UI farms

By Alex Lazaro, Contributing Writer May 1, 2021

The Meat Science Laboratory has been referred to as a hidden gem of the Champaign-Urbana community for some time now, supplying the local residents with different kinds of products that are harvested from...

Scientists explore vaccine effects on periods

By Gwyn Skiles, Features Editor April 29, 2021

Katharine Lee, post-doctoral research scholar in the division of public health sciences at Washington University School of Medicine, was one of the first people to get the COVID-19 vaccine. She noticed...

A photo a book containing plays such as Two Gentlemen of Verona, The Tempest and Merry Wives of Windsor by William Shakespeare rests on display. Shakespeare’s birthday was remembered by a week-long celebration featuring his writings.

UI library celebrates Shakespeare week

By Matt Troher, Investigative News & Longform Editor April 29, 2021

Over 450 years ago and nearly 4,000 miles away from Champaign, William Shakespeare was born. Despite this massive spatial and temporal distance, the University has a few connections to the famous playwright. To...

Students study at the Undergraduate Library on March 12, 2019. Students must weigh between choosing a major based on their passions or monetary concerns.

Students prioritize passion over money

By Liz Gremer, Staff Writer April 26, 2021

When high school seniors apply to colleges, they are faced with the question: What should I major in? While the answer can change throughout one’s time studying at the collegiate level, many students...

The Siebel Center for Design sits quietly at 1208 S. Fourth Street in Champaign, Illinois on April 25. The Hub for Brand Innovation and Advertising Technology is a new initiative that creates a collaborative workspace for students working toward a professional career.

Siebel Center for Design prepares to open in fall

By Olivia Vamos, Staff Writer April 26, 2021

The Siebel Center for Design is located on 1208 S. Fourth Street in Champaign and will open to students this fall. The building will be a collaborative space with several unique features according to...

Load More Stories