Mask-wearing causes deaf, hard-of-hearing individuals to adapt

By Liz Gremer, Staff Writer October 14, 2021

While the COVID-19 pandemic has been a difficult time for society as a whole, certain groups have been experiencing less known challenges. In particular, deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals have had to...

A look of the South Quad from the top of the undergraduate library. Many students are still learning about the library being shut down for renovations in Fall of 2022 and students are conflicted.

Students remain upset over UI’s lack of transparency in UGL conversion project

By Liz Gremer, Staff Writer October 2, 2021

Since the University announced its plan for the library renovation project in spring 2021, the closure of the Undergraduate Library has faced great criticism and disapproval from students. While the library...

A screenshot of the website Illini Dumps is shown above. The site ranks the worst bathrooms on campus.

Alumnus reflects on creating UI bathroom-ranking website

By Aidan Finn, Staff Writer September 29, 2021

The Illini Union stands as a beautiful landmark of the University. With a fascinating architectural history, it can host hundreds of students and provides great study environments and services like Starbucks. Alas,...

A group of climate strike protestors band together in front of Alma Mater on Friday. Students demanded that the University cut ties with fossil fuel companies.

Students host climate strike, demand UI cuts ties with fossil fuel companies

By Farrah Anderson and Vivian La September 28, 2021

Students chanting “We will not rest until we divest” and holding cardboard signs scrawled with black paint saying “Planet over profit” marched around the Main Quad as a part of the climate strike...

A screenshot from the website Graykea is shown above. Manav Modi, junior in engineering, created a startup to help others pay for college.

UI student creates startup to help others pay for college

By Matt Troher, Investigative News & Longform Editor September 24, 2021

Many have said being a full-time student can feel like a full-time job. Manav Modi, junior in engineering, has two — working toward his degree in computer engineering and running his startup. In May...

UI staff, student create Illini Anthem

UI staff, student create ‘Illini Anthem’

By Mateo Bautista, Staff Writer September 23, 2021

As the football team leaves the field, a new swarm of Orange and Blue takes over with bright instruments and fancy footwork. The Marching Illini now have the field, but before they play, a booming voice...

Sammy Epstein, Sophomore in Accounting and Finance, moves into Wassaja Hall on Aug. 20. Multiple sophomores have returned to live in the dorms hoping for a better year full of in-person events and social interactions.

Sophomores return to dorms in hopes for better experience

By Olivia Vamos, Staff Writer September 22, 2021

Multiple sophomores who have returned to live in the dorms have said they think living in the dorms are better this year. They are provided with in-person events and social interactions that can provide...

University housing converts lounges to dorms due to increased participation of on-campus living

By Fizza Hassan, Staff Writer September 22, 2021

The housing department at the University of Illinois has seen an overwhelming number of students sign up for on-campus living, which has been a challenging feat for the department to accommodate — especially...

The Chi Omega sorority house is a part of the panhellenic organization and one of the many houses that fosters community within students especially because of this years in-person rush process.

In-person rush, living in sorority houses fosters community

By Liz Gremer, Staff Writer September 22, 2021

As the new year of classes began in August, members of sorority houses moved in and began to prepare for the fall 2021 rush. In comparison to last year’s virtual fall and spring rush, this year was a...

COVID-19 influences students decisions to major in health industry

COVID-19 influences students’ decisions to major in health industry

By Liz Gremer, Staff Writer September 14, 2021

During the summer going into her senior year of high school, Vama Naik, freshman in ACES, decided that she wanted to go into nutrition. At this time, the effects of COVID-19 were increasingly apparent...

A Zoom meeting is held while Jainism received a donation for the study of Jainism on July 5. The religion Jainism will be studied under the Religious Department.

Religion department gifted $1 million for Jainism studies

By Liz Gremer, Staff Writer September 7, 2021

In May, the Department of Religion received $1 million to establish a program to further research of Jainism. The gift comes from a group of Jain donors throughout Illinois and the United States who want...

Julia Arciola, junior in LAS, holds her baton on Quad Day while performing with the Marching Illini on Aug. 22. Arciola reflects on her past successes and experience as a baton twirler at the University.

Marching Illini baton twirler reflects on success, experience

By Matt Troher, Investigative News & Longform Editor September 5, 2021

Julia Arciola, junior in LAS, marched into Memorial Stadium on Aug. 28, along with the 400 members of the Marching Illini. She’s not carrying an instrument, however — nor a flag or a conductor’s...

Load More Stories