Broken Day divided, but united

By Christina Peluso

Four different guys with distinct backgrounds and musical influences were drawn together by a love of music. Some grew up on classic rock, while others spent their formative years listening to jazz. Regardless of their roots, the members of the band Broken Day are driven by their love of creating music and their desire to succeed.

Singer Andy Redmon of Champaign, bassist Ryan Brummet and guitarist Josh Waller of Sidney, Ill., along with drummer Dustin Reifsteck of Philo, Ill., formed Broken Day a year and a half ago. Since then they’ve spent every available moment practicing, writing music and performing.

Broken Day formed out of a friendship between Reifsteck and Waller. The two enjoyed jamming together but never pursued it seriously. Then they met Redmon, a guitarist and would-be singer. The trio jammed together, but nothing came of it.

Three months later, Reifsteck and Waller called Redmon again. The three decided to form a band. After their decision, the guys put themselves on the fast track. They recruited Brummet as a bassist and began practicing together. Within their first three weeks together, they recorded a demo. After three months together, they started recording their CD. After a year, their first album was complete.

Since then, the band has been playing gigs whenever possible. They’ve played at local venues such as Highdive, 51 E. Main St., Champaign, Cowboy Monkey, 6 Taylor St., Champaign, and the Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana. Today, they’re playing a show at the Courtyard Caf‚ in the Union. Admission is $2 for University students and $4 for everyone else.

Two nights before their show, the group sat down to discuss music and their band.

When asked about music and their band, they gave an eclectic group of answers. At times, all four agreed, and at others they vehemently disagreed. Their responses further demonstrate their individuality and the tapestry of the group.

All four are extremely enthusiastic about their band.

“We’re most creative and productive when we’re playing music,” Waller said.

All credit the band as one of the most – if not the most – important aspect of their lives.

“It’s why I get up in the morning. It’s freedom for me. You can express things, say things you can’t tell anyone else,” Redmon said.

Reifsteck said he likes being a part of something. All four members described the band as a group of brothers. They all admit they fight but consider arguing a way to work out their songs.

Each also envisions different goals for the band.

“We want to touch people with our music,” said Waller.

Brummet said he wants to learn as much about music as he can while Redmon said he wants to affect people the way other bands have affected him.

“I want to give back something. Certain bands have got me through hard times and kept me going. I’d like to do that for someone else. Music is pretty powerful. I know it’s the most powerful thing in my life,” he said.

Though each has different goals for the band, the guys remain united on the meaning of music to them, especially the music they have created together.

“It [music] makes me feel alive. It gives me hope,” Redmon explained.

Reifsteck had a harder time verbalizing his feelings, comparing the band’s songs to having kids.

Some of their favorite tracks from their self-titled CD include “Goodbye,” “No Win situation” and “Sway.” Redmon explained that “Goodbye” and “Sway” were his favorites because they gave him the most feeling. Reifsteck said “No Win Situation” was his favorite because of the spontaneous creative energy that created the song.

Each member has been playing his respective instrument since at least his early teens, if not earlier. All are self-taught. Though a few band members tried their hand at professional lessons, each found teaching themselves to be easier.

The four band members all respect a wide variety of music icons. When asked which artists – alive or dead – they would love to collaborate with, responses ranged the entire musical spectrum. Brummet named jazz bassist Jaco Pastorius as his ideal collaborator. Reifsteck said he would love to collaborate with Incubus. Other artists included Jimi Hendrix and Butch Walker, a former member of the Marvelous 3.

For now, the foursome is united in their excitement for upcoming shows. They have a show Nov. 19 at the Highdive as well as their 10:30p.m. show tonight.

While some of the guys agree that shows help them become better as a band, others see it as great recognition.

“Being on stage is the reward for all the work you do,” Redmon said.

Still others like Waller enjoy the adrenaline rush of being on stage.

“It’s like having sex for the very first time,” he said.