Students organize smoke-free night at Brothers

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Sara Garcia

Not only could you see clear-across the bar, but Brothers Bar and Grill actually smelled good as almost 500 University students gathered to drink and hang out Monday night. The students, who attended “Brothers Kicks Butt” for the smoke free bar night sponsored by Colleges Against Cancer, actually got to go home in clothes that didn’t reek of cigarette smoke.

“I decided to organize this event when I found out that five minutes in a smoky bar is equivalent to one cigarette,” said Breana Serluco, sophomore in LAS and organizer of the event.

Serluco was extremely pleased with the crowd Monday night and emphasized how the turnout proved that it’s easily feasible for a Campustown bar to be successful while banning smoking. She said that she really hopes the idea will catch on and wants people to realize how easy it was for everyone to not smoke that night.

“I have no problem with having to step outside to smoke a cigarette,” said Steve Hall, junior in LAS. Hall, who smoked outside with his friend Jeremy Carpenter, sophomore in FAA, said that while he is addicted to smoking, he understands it’s a “worthless habit that could kill you.” Both students said that the ban on smoking inside definitely influenced the number of cigarettes they smoked.

“Just think how many cigarettes we would have had by now if we were allowed to smoke inside,” Carpenter said to Hall.

Students not only got to breathe easier Monday night, but many also went home with free T-shirts advertising the event, pink breast cancer awareness bracelets, buttons that said “Kiss me, I don’t smoke” and other prizes donated by local businesses.

Serluco and her committee organized several games with a no-smoking theme. One game was modeled off the well-known “Pin the Tail on the Donkey” game. Students were spun around and then had to pin a paper cigarette to the wall. If they landed on the words “T-shirt” or “bracelet” they could collect their prize.

“I think it’s amazing that a bunch of college kids are getting together for a good cause,” said Lauren Sraga, sophomore in LAS.

Sraga, a member of Colleges Against Cancer, said that she thinks there are more people bothered by the smoke in bars than there are people who smoke.

Statistics support the fact that there are more non-smokers than smokers in the general population. According to the American Heart Association Web site, 25.2 percent of men and 20.7 percent of women smoke. These people are at a much higher risk of heart attack and stroke.

Greg Morrison, sophomore in LAS, said he thinks people should be allowed to smoke indoors most nights, emphasizing that it goes along with the bar atmosphere.

Organizers of the event passed around petitions urging cigarette companies to regulate laws.

Kimberly Dean, senior in LAS and president of Colleges Against Cancer, said that the smoke free bar night was part of a week’s worth of events to educate people about the dangers of smoking.

“The Great American Smoke Out is recognized by the American Cancer Society and celebrated nationally on Thursday, but we decided to extend it to the whole week,” Dean said.

A Truth simulation imitating the anti-smoking commercials will be held on the Quad from 12:50 to 1 p.m. Thursday.

“There will be 50 to 100 people standing out there, and every second one person will drop to recognize death from tobacco,” Dean said.

Santosh Kuruvilla, senior in LAS and member of Colleges Against Cancer, said that the club will also be out on the Quad all week handing out information relating to smoking and lung cancer.

Colleges Against Cancer went to local middle schools Tuesday and will go again today to educate sixth, seventh, and eighth graders on the dangers of smoking, Kuruvilla said.

Naitali Patel, sophomore in LAS, said she joined Colleges Against Cancer her freshman year because many members of her family have cancer.

Other members of Colleges Against Cancer joined because they are survivors.

Colleen Clyder, junior in LAS, was diagnosed with a life-threatening brain tumor just before her sophomore year of high school. She underwent brain surgery and had to spend time recovering and relearning how to do everyday activities.

“I don’t understand why people would start smoking when they know all the risks of it,” Clyder said.

She added that too many people have the mindset of “Oh, it won’t happen to me.”

Clyder really enjoyed the smoke-free bar night and said she loves being a member of Colleges Against Cancer because she likes to surround herself with people whose lives have been touched by cancer and adversity in some way.

She added that the whole concept of smoking saddens her.

“I did not choose to get cancer, and these people are just expanding their possibilities of it every time they light up,” Clyder said.