Students turn to tea for alternative health benefits

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Sara Garcia

It’s that time of year again. Students are scurrying to class for final exam review sessions bundled up in full winter regalia: heavy coats, scarves, hats and gloves. With the temperature dropping, students’ susceptibility to illness is rising.

The combination of cold weather and the stress of finals is leading many students to the natural and health food store Natural Gourmet. The store sells a variety of food and supplements, and they also carry a wide variety of teas, many of which claim to prevent cold-related ailments.

Tea is one of a variety of alternative health methods to which people turn in order to prevent disease. Alternative health methods often are ways to modify diets or behaviors to remedy or prevent sickness and avoid the traditional method of visiting a doctor.

“I started drinking tea because I was tired of just drinking water,” said Jenny Tribble, junior in LAS. She considers herself health-conscious and likes to work out and stay hydrated.

Tribble said that drinking tea is a good alternative for people who want to drink something healthy but also desire a beverage that tastes good.

Carol Bullart, an employee at Natural Gourmet for seven years, said the store sells a lot of hot tea in the winter months because so many people get sick.

“Most teas are a blend of medicinal herbs that help improve people’s health,” Bullart said.

She added that some teas can act as sedatives, while others can be energy boosters. For example, ginseng is known to give people energy while chamomile is known to help people sleep.

For students who want a caffeine boost to help them stay awake into the wee hours of the morning, black tea is a good option, as it contains the most caffeine. Bullart said many natural herbs have caffeine in them.

Other people who prefer not to consume caffeine can find many teas that don’t include it.

“I discovered herbal tea after I realized I was sensitive to stimulants,” Bullart said. She said she has been drinking tea since she was very young, and her parents enjoy drinking Lipton tea.

Bullart likes tea because it, along with a healthy diet, can help balance the body’s system.

Bullart said that people may need to pay more for tea that is sold in whole leaves because it is of a higher quality. She said the leaves, which resemble tiny raisins, unfurl when they are put into water. Natural Gourmet has a section of tea that is sold like this in many different flavors.

Other people prefer to buy tea bags that contain pure herbs, as they are considered extremely good for health and function medicinally, Bullart said.

Many companies market tea for certain remedies. Some remedy teas are geared toward pregnancy, while others claim to help premenstrual syndrome, aid with dieting or act as a laxative. Natural Gourmet even carries tea that claims to helps people stop smoking.

Bullart said the effectiveness of a remedy depends on individual traits and how strong of a remedy they may need. She thinks that tea can assist in quitting an addictive behavior.

“For some people drinking a cup of tea may take the place of smoking a cigarette,” Bullart said.

Andrea Siudyla, junior in communications, spent this semester researching a variety of alternative health methods for a journalism class. She did research on the benefits of tea and found that green and white tea can help prevent cancer because they contain high levels of antioxidants.

“Other alternative health methods are more about fixing a problem, drinking tea is more about preventing problems,” Siudyla said.