Festivities bring cheer

Joy the Clown uses her puppet, Mr. Peepers, to talk with Nathane on Sunday during the Carle Foundation Hospital´s annual Christmas party. Online Poster

By Molly Rafter

Having a child who has been diagnosed with cancer or a blood disease can certainly be a taxing experience for parents.

“It was a shock to the family when we found out Austin had hemophilia B,” said Urbana resident Angela Ford, Austin’s mother.

Sunday’s children’s holiday party for pediatric hematology and oncology patients at Carle Hospital in Urbana helped to brighten the day for sick children and their families.

The Special Days Fund, created specifically to collect donations for children being treated in the hematology and oncology department, paid for the event. The fund contributes to celebrations and parties for the children to help celebrate special events.

Gary Freedlund, an employee in the pediatric hematology and oncology department, helped organize the event.

“This is our third year of doing this event, and we try to keep it the same each year,” he said.

Freedlund said the outside community is very generous each year in donating various services to make the event possible.

“The University has made a tremendous effect on our party,” he said. “Many organizations get involved with making this possible.”

The event hosted a variety of special events, including carnival games with prizes, Mr. and Mrs. Santa, a magician, a holiday clown and a large assortment of food and drinks.

In addition, the event set up a reading room where children could read or have a story read to them by various volunteers.

Mothers of the children were treated like queens – they got their makeup and nails done and had their hair cut and styled, courtesy of Timothy John Salon of Urbana.

“Timothy John Salon has been phenomenal. They always look forward to helping cut hair,” Freedlund said.

“I love being able to do this. It’s a wonderful experience,” said Shelly Jackson, aesthetician for Timothy John Salon. Moms were also treated to free massages by a massage therapist.

The mothers weren’t the only ones being pampered – the dads had an opportunity to kick back and relax as well. A room was set up where the dads could all hang out, watch football and eat.

“This event is awesome. It’s a really good thing for the kids and families,” said Donald Brady, father of a patient and resident of Ashmore, Ill.

Outside businesses weren’t the only ones involved in making the event possible. University students, such as the University’s branch of Colleges Against Cancer, volunteered at the event.

“This makes me feel really good,” said Tahnee Hagenbuch, freshman in applied life studies. “Getting to work with the kids and see how happy they are makes it all worth it.”

The Other Guys, made up of members of the varsity men’s glee club at the University, performed a family-oriented show.

“We’re used to performing for mainly college and adult audiences, but it’s very rewarding to be able to perform for these families,” said Aaron Troy, junior in business and business manager for the group.

Freedlund said the hospital’s staff enjoys the event every year, as well.

“It’s nice for the staff to see kids in an environment where they’re having fun. Kids know they’re not alone,” Freedlund said.

Ford agreed that it was fun to come to an event to see other people and that it brings her and her family back to reality.

“You just have to take one day at a time and be thankful for the moments like these that you have,” Ford said.