Students flock to Study Abroad Fair

By Kate Gleason

Students eagerly lined the tables at the Study Abroad Fair Tuesday in the Illini Union Room C for information about studying in countries all over the world. The fair was intended to give students an opportunity to see what studying abroad has to offer.

Jessica Sturm, director of French 103, a program that meets in Avignon, France, said she attended the fair to give students a chance to ask any questions they might have before deciding to attend a school in another country.

Sturm, also a graduate student, said she majored in French as an undergraduate student and studied abroad in France six years ago.

“I think it was the best thing I did,” Sturm said. “I really think it’s the best thing you can do as a student at a university.”

Sturm said the French 103 program usually accepts around 12 to 15 students but could accommodate more.

Lauren Chan and Gina Bartucci were also in attendance Tuesday, working at the booth for studying abroad in Ireland.

Chan, senior in LAS, said she just got back from studying in Cork, Ireland, last semester. She said she had visited Ireland when she was younger and wanted to go back.

“My experience there was just unbelievable,” Chan said. “I want to go back.”

Bartucci, an advisor for the United Kingdom and Ireland at the Study Abroad Office, said she attended the fair to “get the word out about all studying abroad has to offer.”

For students interested in studying abroad but that need financial assistance, there are a number of opportunities for scholarships.

David Schug, who is in charge of helping students apply for scholarships at the Study Abroad Office, said many students who apply for scholarships receive some sort of financial help.

He said most scholarships are merit-based, but there are also some need-based ones.

Schug said that students often would apply for the scholarships before they study abroad, because some of them have early deadlines.

Jerome Ng, advisor for students interested in going to Asia, New Zealand, Australia, the Middle East, North Africa and South Africa, also works in the Study Abroad Office.

He said his job is to help prepare students to study abroad and to also help set up programs for incoming exchange students.

Ng also said he helps students select the right place to study.

“Many times, students may have overlooked places that they might love,” Ng said. Ng added his favorite part of the job is sharing in students’ enjoyment when they are preparing to study abroad.

“Towards the end of the semester, the students are always so excited,” Ng said. “Their excitement is my biggest reward.”