Annual event promotes multiculturalism

By Frank Krolicki

University students don’t have to leave campus to sample the art and cuisine of various cultures – they can do so at the Illini Union Feb. 12 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. via the seventh annual “Culture Shock.” Together Encouraging the Appreciation of Multiculturalism (TEAM) and the Illini Union Board will sponsor the event.

Karol Ng, TEAM finance chair and sophomore in LAS, said the event will include performances by groups such as the U-C Hip Hop Congress, the Tribal Belly Dancing Club, the Polish Students Club and a new student organization, the Indian Dance Club.

Ritu Parikh, a member of the 2005 Culture Shock committee and freshman in LAS, said it will also feature a games and crafts room.

Attendees will be able to experience popular diversions from other countries such as China’s mahjong and the Japanese art of origami with the help of student organizations such as the Mahjong Club, the Italian Connection and the Korean American Student Association.

A fashion show incorporating dance and styles from around the world is also planned, Parikh said.

Todd Ehrhart, the organization’s coordinating chair and graduate student, said events such as Culture Shock are important because different ethnic groups on campus consistently tend to stay separated.

“Unfortunately, we keep hearing the same thing year after year – that various groups will stick to their own,” Ehrhart said. “I think it tends to happen more often than a lot of people around here think.”

TEAM became an organization on campus in 1997 after many students were outraged by the harassment of an Indian student that occurred the previous year, Ng explained.

“This student was walking to her car, and these drunk guys started throwing bottles at her and calling her demeaning names,” Ng said. “Everyone in TEAM wants to do whatever possible to prevent things like that from happening.”

But Ng said TEAM members often face difficulties in organizing events because of limited funds.

“Money is very tight,” she said. “Sometimes we have dance parties based on different cultures and charge a few dollars for admission as a fundraiser.”

But Ng mentioned that events such as this often do not raise as much money as members would like.

“The major problem is that it can be hard to draw an audience,” Ng said. “We recently wanted to throw a big party featuring dances from around the world, but we didn’t want to take the risk of losing money if people didn’t show up.”

Among other TEAM events are “Night Market,” which includes food and displays from various countries, and a retreat, where about 60 students participate in team-building activities off campus. Both occur during the fall semester.

But Ng said Culture Shock, which is free to students and has garnered a crowd of about 3,000 people in past years, is the largest event.

Ehrhart said that while Culture Shock may not have as big an impact as smaller, more intimate events on making students more conscious of different cultures, it is a good place to start.

“Hopefully people will see things they’ve never seen before and come out with a greater sense of unity and a desire to learn more,” Parikh said.