Hidden campus treasures

Erin Mann, sophomore in LAS, works on an assignment for her integrated biology class at the conservatory, 1201 S. Dorner, Tuesday. “I like it, it´s nice and warm in here,” she said. Troy Stanger

By Kimberly Crompton

As spring approaches and students awaken from their winter slumber, the University of Illinois campus offers new ideas to replace Saturdays spent at home. Instead of weekend movie marathons, students can put down the remote and entertain themselves just by walking out the front door.

“Students need to take advantage of how much the University of Illinois offers. I didn’t even realize how much there was to experience until I had already graduated,” said Jason Shnack, a 1994 graduate. “I want my kids to go here, just so I can visit.”

Even the University Web site encourages students to pursue a well-rounded college career.

“The University of Illinois takes pride in ensuring students make the most of their time here at Illinois, both in and out of the classroom,” the Web site says.

However, once weighed down with homework and full class schedules, students often forget to satisfy the other half of their college experience.

Nightlife aside, the University is a literal playground of activity that the majority of students never use to their full advantage. The newly renovated Rec Room in the Illini Union basement features a bowling alley, arcade games and a billiard room with 12 pool tables just waiting to be used. The Illini Union is even hosting a March Madness Billiard Tournament on March 30, to promote the Rec Room to all students.

“The Rec Room has taken on a different atmosphere with the remodeling that occurred this past summer,” said Donna Wargo, Illini Union Rec Room manager. “Some students use it to go bowling or play pool while others see beyond that and recognize its value and potential not only for recreation, but also for relaxation, programming and community building.”

Wargo says most students who have made the trip to the Union’s basement have found themselves pleasantly surprised.

“When I went to the Union I didn’t expect to have so much fun, but the bowling alley and pool tables completely changed that,” said Bryan Knapp, sophomore in business.

There are little treasures hidden all over campus that students don’t utilize or even know about.

The two museums on campus, Krannert Art Museum and Spurlock Museum, offer more than a reason to fall asleep. Each week, student artwork and contemporary exhibits are available at no cost to all Illinois students. Spurlock alone showcases nearly 46,000 artifacts from around the world and even held a live auction on March 4, putting items such as original artwork and antique jewelry up for public bidding.

Kim Sheahan, Special Events coordinator at Spurlock Museum, is working to promote the museum through student-centered marketing such as freshman orientation.

“Spurlock had a survey done on campus just a few months ago that told us that many students are unaware that we are here,” Sheahan said. She admitted most students who attend the museum only do so through necessities like class assignments and lectures. “We would like to have students visit out of personal interest, as well.”

As the weather warms and students thaw from winter hibernation, the Plant Biology Greenhouses’ flowers, exotic trees and tropical plant collections become a welcome sight for any student who experienced winter’s gray skies and bare trees. In total, there are 88,000 square feet of greenhouse space for students to visit.

“This is indeed a treasure on campus that many people do not know exists,” Ruth Green, Plant Care Facility Coordinator, said of the University’s greenhouses.

Macey Briggs, sophomore in business, experienced the greenhouses by chance when her horticultural class visited for an assignment.

“I had driven by the greenhouses before but I never even thought about going in until I had to go there for a class,” Briggs said. “They are just unbelievable and beautiful; so much work goes into maintaining those plants year round.”

The greenhouses, located on Dorner Drive, are just another of the many treasures hidden on the University campus and tours are available to all students.

With so many activities to choose from during the day, the University’s historic Observatory offers students a change in pace from nights spent in the library or out on the town. On the first Friday of every month, the Observatory, located on the southeast corner of the Quad, holds a free open house where students are able to look at stars and planets through several different scientific telescopes.

But on a campus of more than 38,000, the Observatory is only used by a handful of students.

“When we have open houses, we don’t see more than perhaps 50 people in a night,” said Laura Book, University Astronomical Society president.

As the sun rises each day, Illinois students inch closer to graduation and departure from this University. With only four years to experience all it offers, students admit they don’t often realize how much is at their fingertips until it is gone.

“It baffles my mind that in two short months, I will be officially done with school,” said Jamee Rotunno, senior in LAS. “There are so many other things I wish I would have done while I was here.”