Results are in: Quad Day a success

Students gather on the Quad Tuesday to find out about student clubs and watch the performance put on by the Marching Illini, Illinois Cheerleaders, Poms and Color Guard. Online Poster

By Kate Gleason

Mild temperatures meant great attendance for Quad Day on Tuesday. From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., thousands of students stormed the quad to learn more about different organizations on campus, watch performances from student groups and socialize.

J. Brooks Moore, who was in charge of Quad Day, said 600 organizations were present, 550 of them registered student organizations and 50 other organizations, such as church groups.

Moore said he was very pleased with this year’s turnout, and attributes the high attendance to the day’s favorable weather.

“There was just such an energy on the Quad,” he said. “The weather was perfect, and that made even more people come out.”

Moore said he thought about 12,000-13,000 people were in attendance.

Laura Galvin, sophomore in LAS, said she liked Quad Day because it gave her an opportunity to learn about groups she had never heard of.

“It’s one of the best days of the year,” she said.

Members of the RSO Club Kramerica, a group devoted to the popular TV show Seinfeld, said that this was their third year of existence, and they have attended Quad Day all three years.

Collin Williams, senior in Business and the group’s treasurer, said that his club hosts many Seinfeld-inspired events throughout the year, such as organizing a “Soup Nazi” stand and celebrating Festivus.

Williams said his group felt it was important to attend Quad Day to tell people what their group is all about.

“We really wanted to reach out to new people,” he said. “We’ve found that Quad Day is by far the best chance to build membership.”

James Ballard, junior in LAS and an active member of the group Students For Organ Donation, said that since this is the first full year his organization would be on campus, they felt it was vital to attend Quad Day.

“We try to raise awareness on campus for organ donation, and we figured the best way to raise awareness of our group and get more members would be to come to Quad Day.”

Members of the Illinois Women’s Rugby Club were on the quad, signing up new members and talking to people about their sport.

Jackye Peretz, junior in LAS and the group’s president, said that there are no try-outs to join the team and no experience is necessary to be a part of it.

“It’s just a lot of fun,” she said. “We all become like a family and hang out a lot.”

Peretz said that anyone could learn to play rugby – no matter how big or small.

“There’s a lot of little people on our team,” she said. “Rugby is fun for all sizes.”

At the end of the day, Moore said he felt the day was a success.

“I hope students take from Quad Day a glimpse into student life of this campus,” he said. “I hope they see all they can do while they’re here besides going to class.”