Once a gamer, always a gamer

By Bill Hanley

Shortly before I started college, I purchased my first computer like many students do. However, my computer was not top-of-the-line solely to crunch out my physics homework. It was hand-selected to play video games with the best of them.

I still have that same computer that provided so many hours of fun. Sadly, now its hard drives are vacant of any games. The newest games will not even load. Despite the lame computer, I still have the chance to play video games and stare endlessly into a glowing screen, but now the screen is my television. I am a console gamer; I’ve always been one. After all, I grew up on Nintendo back in the day, when Mario only had one game.

I still play because the games are still fun. Everyone has a little console gamer in them. Even if you only play a dorm favorite like Halo or DDR, you can still relate to the enjoyment of these games. Of course, consoles are more limited than computer games, but the appeal is there. For me, the appeal is screaming in your friend’s face when you beat him. A text message at the bottom of a screen can never replace the face-to-face argument among friends over cheating.

Consoles also provide a huge library of games including most big-name computer games. Grand Theft Auto III was just as successful for consoles as for the PC. Halo 2 is one of the most popular games around, and found only on the Xbox. These libraries continue to grow with great new games, all of which will still load on my three-year-old Play Station 2.

None of which may matter for long, because console platforms are in the closing stages of their lives. What’s negative about console gaming is when manufactures decide to update old models. Consoles like Xbox 360 and Play Station 3 will be improvements over the current platforms and allow for even better games. Each system boasts better graphics, faster games and more online gaming. The problem is gamers now must predict the future. Which console will be better? Will one of them disappear like Sega did? Which one should I buy?

Predictions aside, companies have already announced their new models’ releases. The first will be Xbox 360 coming to stores in November for the holiday rush. Microsoft has decided to release two versions of the 360, the $300 version and the $400 version. I wonder if Microsoft picked the name Xbox 360 based on the cost.

Sony lags behind with the Play Station 3. It will probably be released in the spring. With no set price yet, I suggest that Sony one-up Microsoft by making a few changes to the name. Simply draw a slash through the letter “S” and tack on 99.99 to the systems name, and you have the P$399.99 with the name and price all in one.

The cost of upgrading to a newer system is definitely a drawback and there is an alternative to high prices. An easy solution is to wait until the price drops. This keeps you playing the systems you already own. A new game is nothing, compared to what it will cost to buy the 360 on the release date.

That’s what I’m going to do. Personally, I can wait to see if the Play Station 3 will force a price drop on the 360. There are plenty of games I’ve never played yet, and are still worth my time. All of which are available from online rental stores. It’s the same concept as NetFlix but for video games. This is a great way to check out games you missed without having to buy them.

Bill Hanley is a senior in Political Science. His columns appear on Tuesdays. He can be reached at [email protected].