Local Dems gather for food, softball

Tessa Pelias

Tessa Pelias

By Kate Gleason

Politicians and budding politicians from across the Champaign area gathered to have some apolitical fun in Champaign on Sunday.

The event began with a softball game pitting the Elected Democrats against the College Democrats. Elected Democrats came back from a 6-3 deficit to prevail over the College Democrats 7-6 in a softball game Sunday afternoon.

The event, held at Eisner Park in Champaign, was put together to bring both groups together in a social and fun atmosphere, according to College Democrats President Justin Cajindos.

“We just thought it would be a fun idea,” he said.

The Elected Democrats’ win came as quite a surprise to the College Democrats.

“We were expecting to win quite easily,” said Cajindos, junior in LAS.

Jake Smallhorn, the College Democrats’ social chair, agreed.

“We thought we were going to kill them,” the junior in LAS said.

Smallhorn credited Dr. David Gill’s baseball pants for the Elected Democrats’ win.

Gill, who is running for Congress in the upcoming election, was one of the many democrats who came out to play Sunday.

Representative Naomi Jacobsson, Tony Fabri, the party chairman, Julia Reitz, the Champaign States Attorney and Mike Frerichs, Champaign County Auditor, among others, came out to show their support and socialize with other democrats. About 40 Elected Democrats and 12 College Democrats attended.

“It was a tough game,” said Gill. “The College Democrats put up a good fight.”

After the game, players and non-players alike enjoyed a picnic.

All in all, Dr. Gill said the day was a success.

“It’s a shame that anyone had to lose,” he said. “But if someone had to, I’m just glad it wasn’t us.”

In addition to this weekend’s picnic, the College Democrats and Elected Democrats will play a friendly game of football sometime in October. The College Democrats will also host a tailgate before this weekend’s football game from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Smallhorn said everyone was welcome to attend the tailgate.