Interpol concert a hit at Assembly Hall

Bassist Carlos D. Dengler of Interpol plays at Assembly Hall on Saturday. Vadim Olen

By Mary Johnson

Interpol opened their concert at Assembly Hall on Saturday with “Next Exit” and there was very little exiting from the audience during the hour and a half show.

The New York City band took to the stage at 8:45 p.m. to perform before mop-haired high school students and middle-aged rock fans alike at the Assembly Hall Theatre. The Interpol fans stretched into the upper balcony.

The band played many songs from their 2004-released second full-length album under Matador Records, Antics.

Daniel Brumbach, freshman in LAS, said the concert was his second time seeing Interpol in concert.

“I saw them at the Q101 Block Party in Chicago this summer with Queens of the Stone Age and a bunch of other bands,” the Chicago native said. “I thought they were pretty good. The only thing I didn’t like was that they didn’t play a lot of their old songs.”

While Interpol played mostly newer songs from the most recently released Antics during Saturday’s show, they still included some of the favorites from the 2002 released Turn on the Bright Lights. These songs included “Obstacle 1,” “Obstacle 2” and “PDA.”

Prior to the beginning of the concert, Brumbach said he had two expectations of Interpol.

“I am hoping they will play ‘Stella Was a Diver’ and just to get my 10 dollars worth.”

There was no ‘Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down” to be heard, but Brumbach said the concert was still well worth the price.

Student tickets cost $10 while tickets for the public ranged from $20-$25.

Anita Shankar, senior in LAS, said she appreciated the low-priced student tickets.

“I really liked that tickets were only 10 bucks. I thought that was pretty awesome,” Shankar said. “That’s probably part of the reason why they were able to fill up Assembly Hall as much as they did.”

Shankar and her friends got in line at 9:30 a.m. Aug. 24 to get floor seats. Pre-sale for students began at 10 a.m.

“There was already a line out the door and on the patio of the Union when we showed up to buy tickets. We thought that we were going relatively early,” Shankar said.

Shankar said she started listening to Interpol two years ago, but Saturday’s show was the first concert she attended. She said she would definitely go again, but she was unimpressed with the opening band. Boom Bip started the show at 7:30 p.m. playing instrumental electronic music.

“I thought Interpol was pretty good. They played a really awesome set,” Shankar said. “The opening band was okay. It seemed like they dragged on even though they did not play for that long … Not that many people knew them.”

Ryan O’Neill, senior in LAS, said he was glad he saw Boom Bip.

“The opening band was interesting. It was all instrumental, and I am into that stuff,” he said.

The concert was O’Neill’s second time seeing Interpol perform.

“The concert was better than I though it would be,” he said. “I saw them at the Riviera in Chicago before which is a much smaller venue. I didn’t know how it would be in Assembly Hall, but it was good.”

O’Neill’s younger sister, Colleen, traveled from Downers Grove to join her brother and his friends for the show. This was her third time seeing Interpol in concert and said this was her favorite show.

“I think it was a really cool show with all the lighting and such,” the 17-year-old high school senior said. “It was a bigger venue than I have seen them in before, but it gave them the opportunity to do different things.”

The band used red, green, yellow and blue moving spotlights throughout the show, as well as other lighting designs.

Colleen O’Neill also said she also enjoyed Boom Bip’s instrumental performance.

“I thought the opening band was really cool. It was really chill. It was different, but I liked it,” she said.

Deanna Barthel, senior in LAS, skipped the opening band. She said she heard about Interpol from other events, but did not know Boom Bip.

“We go to concerts a lot in Chicago and we just found out about Interpol from other bands,” the Orland Park native said. “They put on a really great show. It was well worth more than my 10 dollars … I would definitely go see them again.”