Dave Matthews Band brings favorite tunes to the Midwest

Dave Matthews Band plays in front of the crowd at Assembly Hall on Wednesday night. Peter Hoffman

By Mary Johnson

Many students from colleges across the Midwest came together Wednesday night for an event on the University campus that has not occurred for nearly three years. Several students could be found drinking Busch Light and eating hot dogs in Row 3 of the northeast Blue Lot next to Assembly Hall. It was not Illinois’ football team causing these students to tailgate; it was something entirely different – Dave Matthews Band.

Indiana University roommates Andy Ondecker and Chad Hoffman could be found at the tailgate of a pick-up truck grilling hot dogs and partaking in the pre-gaming festivities, but they said they had to make a large sacrifice in order to make it to the Wednesday night concert.

“We sold our UI-Duke basketball tickets for $300 to come to the show tonight,” Ondecker said. “We got two floor seats for $150 for the pair.”

Ondecker and Hoffman were not the only pair to travel across state lines to see the Dave Matthews concert. Matt Colin, a Lindwood University student, traveled from Missouri to see his eighth Dave Matthews concert. He traveled as far as New York to witness the Dave Matthews Band Central Park concert, but Colin said the Wednesday night show was different from the rest.

“This is my first time I have ever seen them indoors,” Colin said. “I am hoping for a little old school Dave. I really want to hear ‘Long Black Veil.'”

Just eight cars away from Colin and his Lindwood friends in Row 3, there was a Dave Matthews veteran. Ben Carlson, a Northern Illinois University alum, traveled from DeKalb to witness what he guessed was his 23rd Dave Matthews Concert.

Carlson and his friend reached Assembly Hall at 5:30 on Wednesday night without tickets in their hands. They were able to pick up floor seats at face value from will call when they arrived. Carlson had high hopes for his second Dave Matthews concert at Assembly Hall.

“The show three years ago was really good,” Carlson said. “It had one of the best encores I have ever seen.”

Carlson and many people wanted the Dave Matthews Band to perform their old favorites, and they got what they wanted. Dave Matthews opened the show with “What Would You Say” off the 1994 album, “Under the Table and Dreaming.”

Other crowd-pleasing favorites included “Grey Street” and “Crash.” In addition to the old favorites, Dave Matthews also performed “Stand Up” and “Dreamgirl” from their most recently released album.

Jeff Harden, junior in LAS and president of the Dave Matthews Band Fan Club at the University, said he thought the show was much better than the two he saw over the summer.

“I am not a huge fan of the new album, so I was definitely happy to hear the old stuff,” Harden said.

He also said that he was surprised that Dave Matthews did not schedule a concert in Chicago, but thought many people would be willing to come to Champaign.

“It was kinda strange they did not do a show in Chicago,” he said. “But here you could get the ISU crowd, Indianapolis and St. Louis.”

Carlson said he was glad he traveled down from DeKalb for “one of the better shows” he has seen.