Winter War games come to town

Patrick Traylor

Patrick Traylor

By Bill Hanley

East central Illinois is probably more well know for cold winters than it is for its conventions. So why not name a gaming convention held on the first weekend of February after the crummy weather?

The only history that is really important to Winter War Gaming Convention is that it has been in the Champaign-Urbana area for 33 years. With all the experience, the convention has found its niche. The convention features board, card and role playing games as well as a live auction, vendors and some miniature games that are not very miniature.

If that last part is confusing, it’s fine. You are a newbie, but I can explain it. Everyone is familiar with what a board game is, except Winter War didn’t have “Chutes and Ladders.” The board games ranged from the very popular “Axis and Allies” to more obscure ones such as Illuminati. Yet, every board game featured at Winter War has something in common. All of them come from a box, and that is more than you can say about the rest.

Many of the players at the convention prefer a game that is slightly more personalized. The miniature category is a prime example of this. Generally, these games play out similar to a board game, but these games don’t come in a box. These games are made exciting by the hard work of the players and the customized pieces and game boards.

Winter War also hosts multiple card games, such as “Magic: The Gathering,” and even the most famous Role Playing Game of all time, “Dungeons & Dragons.” Now, I bet when most people hear D&D;, they immediately form a mental picture of people running around in Halloween style costumes, and they would be wrong.

Winter War is designed so that even if you didn’t like a particular game, you wouldn’t be bored. It is a very open convention, where individual players organize and run the games. For example, if you are a huge fan of “Axis and Allies,” you could register with the convention and set up your board game. Then at the convention there is a large enough pool of people who can float between every game. This way, the games at Winter War are the games everyone wants to play.

This format has been working very well for the convention, and they do no plan to alter it. Don McKinney is the convention’s chairman and said the convention is focused on playing all the different games.

The gaming convention boasts 140 different games that are played from Friday afternoon to Sunday. Winter War is expected to match its attendance mark of 400 gamers from last year. Some of those 400 in attendance are definitely not local. Gamers from Missouri, Indiana and Michigan are mixed in among all the games just as often as not.

Winter War also seemed to draw from all age groups. Some convention goers are in middle school and there are some veterans who have been attending Winter War for the majority of all 33 years. The convention registrar, Susan McKinney said Winter War “is a place for the family,” which is easily seen by a quick glance around.

Actually, the convention is open to the public, and it keeps the entrance cost at $15 for the whole weekend. Winter War is a nonprofit organization that has a clear focus of keeping the convention for playing and enjoying the variety of games, not making money.

This is an ideal environment for the experienced players and newbies like me. Like most students, I had never attended a gaming convention or even knew that there was one so close to campus. Winter War is still accepting of us despite whatever reason many of us have never attended a gaming convention.

Around many of the large games were handfuls of people learning how to play. So even if you are new, everyone’s learning and discovering new things.

Winter War 33 was my first glimpse into gaming conventions, and I was amazed how much action there actually is there. No one was sitting around – everyone was playing a game, some of which stretch all the way to 4 a.m. Yet, the whole thing wrapped up on Sunday afternoon bringing a close to all the nonstop playing until next February and Winter War 34.

Winter War is a convention that is made for the active participation in games, not some secondhand experience. So the convention is best explained by sitting down and playing the games. Chairman Don McKinney says everyone should experience Winter War because “if D&D; was fun in high school, it’s still fun now.” That goes for all the games at the convention.