Annual children’s book sale revisits University campus

Austin Happel

By Roshni Rana

The majority of University students have one thing in common; they all spend an enormous amount of time reading. Their reading can vary anywhere from online articles to big text books, but one thing that is rarely on their list is children’s books. However, that might change after this week.

The Center for Children’s Books is having their fifth annual book sale from Monday, Feb. 20 through Wednesday, Feb. 22 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Center for Children’s Books is located in the Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences building on 501 E. Daniel St.

The Center for Children’s Books has books for kids up to 18-years old, and the books stay in the building for visitors to read while they stop by. Since these books cannot be checked out, many children from surrounding schools do not come to see the selection on a daily basis.

However, when the annual book sale comes around, many children from all over attend. Graduate student, Lisa Weinstein, has been working at the Center for Children’s Books for two years and said children and parents from the Chicago suburbs, Indiana and even Arizona come to see the selection during the annual sale.

“We have the sale during President’s Day weekend so teachers and librarians are also able to attend,” Weinstein said.

Children and teenagers also come to pick out the books they want in their school libraries. The annual sale helps teachers choose books their students would actually enjoy reading, instead of just picking anything and discouraging their students with lack of interest. However, there are a limited number of copies, so teachers, students and parents must make sure they get to the sale early.

On Sunday, the pre-sale was held in the East foyer of the GSLIS building. To enter the pre-sale, customers had to reserve their $10 tickets through phone or e-mail. It cost customers to come on Sunday because they received first choice on the books.

Graduate student Joella Peterson loves the books in the GSLIS center.

“Since there are only one or two copies of the books, they are sold quicker, but that just means there is a lot of variety of other books,” Peterson said.

Ninety-seven people attended the day of the pre-sale. The line started forming as the clock struck 11 a.m. and two hours later, the customers were finally allowed to enter. Many books were sold as the customers rushed around grabbing every book they spotted.

“I think the pre-sale went great. It was crowded, but very organized. It seemed like everyone left happy,” Erin Guss, a graduate student and second-year employee at the center said.

Some of the books that are being sold are Series of Unfortunate Events, Hardy Boys, Easy-Readers, Disney Princesses and many picture books. These books are 75 percent off original price and are being sold for $1, $2, or $5.

The center workers expect many people to attend the next two days of the sale. Last year about 450 people attended, and they made about $20,000. Since so many people attend, they are hoping to make even more this year. The money is used to pay for supplies, the upkeep of the center and also toward next year’s budget. Another usage of the money goes toward the Gryphon Award, which is awarded to an elementary school student for outstanding results in reading.

Although the Center of Children’s Books is mainly for graduate students in English and other related studies, anyone who loves to read is free to stop by either one of these sale days or any other day to see the different types of novels and picture book it has to offer. The center will really bring a new outlook on reading non-adult books while attending a University.