Bar Louie aims to create ‘chic’ atmosphere

Austin Happel

Austin Happel

By Online Poster

Maybe I just like glassware.

Businesses are flocking to Champaign to grab the niche market of college students who are constantly looking to have a good time before they have to tie themselves to a nine to fiver.

Bartenders and servers at the newest addition to the campus scene, Bar Louie Champaign, will serve glasses of Strawberry Fizz martinis and Guiness beer-no plastic cups in this bar.

The bar opened to the public at 10 p.m. on Friday night, but had its official grand opening Saturday from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. After weeks of training to become a server at Bar Louie, I got to serve both my friends and strangers everything from Spicy Chicken Nachos and Luigi Burgers to one of the many specialty martinis and draft beers.

Bar Louie offers the sophisticated cocktails associated with the downtown bars, the location of campus bars and a full-menu of appetizers, entrees and desserts until 1:30 a.m.

While I have had an amazing time these past three and a half years in Champaign, I have always relished going back home to the suburbs of Chicago to get a taste of the nightlife that I love. I always planned to spend a few years working at a bar in downtown Chicago – often joking to friends that I needed to earn back some of the money I’d spent.

After hearing that a Bar Louie was coming to campus, I decided to apply. Before I left for work on opening night, I wrote a note to my roommates that I was “living the dream,” grateful that they’d understand my goofy comment since they occasionally tease me about my obsession with bar scenes in general.

Bar Louie, at 510 E. John St., will be open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. daily and admits 19-year-olds. It serves both food and drinks until last call every night.

“I think this bar will raise the standards for other bars on campus,” said Kate Feldt, a University graduate and Bar Louie employee.

Aaron Goodman, a senior in LAS, visited the bar Sunday night, and said he loved his Chicken Pesto Panini. He added that he plans to come back regularly since his apartment is next door.

“We’ll provide a new, chic bar atmosphere,” said Brian Zych, general manager of the bar, which is owned by Restaurants America, Inc.

Zych, who is a big Illini fan, said Champaign was chosen because many company managers are University alumni and thought the bar would be successful on campus. He also said that many University students are from Chicago and may already be familiar with the Bar Louie name.

The bar is decorated with black and white photography and features rows of plasma televisions. Customers can gather around the bar or sit at high-top bar tables or circular booths.

While Bar Louie is blocks away from a number of other campus bars, it offers a lot more than the typical rum and cokes or pitchers of Miller Lite – though both will be available on the menu.

Customers who want to try something different or are simply tired of drinking “college-style” cocktails out of plastic cups, can sample jumbo martinis with names like Lower Manhattan, Tease, Espressotini, Swank or Chocolate Dream – which cost $6 or $7.

They can also sample wines like Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon or Pinot Noir that cost between $5.50 and $9 per glass.

And while Pabst Blue Ribbon and Bud Light will be on tap, more sophisticated beers like Sam Adams, Guiness, Bass and Blue Moon will also be available.

Zych said there are several things that will make the bar stand out from the competition.

“We have a huge menu and offer reasonable prices for food,” he said. Zych added that customers could come in every day and find something different to eat.

One thing that does stand out is the high-end beverages. Just keep in mind a Dirty Martini costs a bit more than those drinks served in plastic cups.

For people itching for something beside fast food at midnight, the bar prides itself on its jumbo sandwiches. Customers can order a blackened chicken muffaletta, vesuvio melt, or spicy shrimp po’boy from the sandwich offerings.

Bar Louie will also serve up appetizers like jalapeno poppers, philly steak sliders, mozzarella sticks and spinach and artichoke dip.

People craving more than typical bar food can also find entrees such as blackened salmon and thai pepper steak served up from lunch until closing time. Salads and burgers round out the menu.

For those who want to satisfy their sweet tooth, three desserts will be available, including the mile high carrot cake and chocolate chocolate chocolate cake which stand six to seven inches tall.

And no, you’ll never have to trip over broken plastic cups and shot glasses.