Change of season brings new trends

By Angela Loiacono

From the gaucho pants to the Ugg boots, fashion trends have hit this campus hard. But this season is bringing with it a variety of new looks for women.

Footwear – Platforms are soaring back into style this spring. Look for them with wood soles in earthy tones. Instead of leather, go for the platform with some suede. Also, look for pumps with chunky, thick straps and decorative flats in natural or primary colors. A quick visit to Nordstrom’s or Nine West will give you a variety of options for the new trends in shoes. And be sure to look at Seychelles’ platforms, their “rock the boat” style is very cute.

Shirt dresses – Following the popularity of the long shirt, shirt dresses are in. Look for one with a collar that is either button down or has several buttons near the neck. A khaki or safari print would be best, but a navy or black shirt dress is also popular. Pair this comfortable, casual dress with a decorative flat. United Colors of Benetton, American Apparel and Lord & Taylor are showing a lot of these dresses.

Lacey whites – Whether it’s a skirt, dress or tank, lacey white materials are what you’ll want. A longer skirt that flows a bit is great, or pair a lacey white tank under a cardigan or light sweater for a classy look. Even the over-the-shoulder bags and bathing suits that are mentioned later are shown in lacey white materials. Check out Active Endeavors or Guess?.

50s and 60s style dresses – This loose, linen or cotton dress is perfect for the spring and summer. Try to find one with a high waist and straps. Dresses that flare out a bit towards the bottom are favored. A lot of floral prints or creams and reds are being shown. Cute dresses can be found easily at stores like Banana Republic, Anthropologie and Target.

One piece bathing suits – A simple alternative to the bikini, a decorative one piece is a good change of pace. A lot of black and whites are being shown. Try to find one with different fabrics or an eyelet. Michael Kors, J. Crew and several department stores are showing a lot of this style, but for a lower-cost suit check out Target.

Shorts with a rolled cuff – Last season brought back the long shorts, this season we’re going to see a lot of shorter shorts with a rolled cuff at the bottom. This style looks the best in khaki or a dark blue. Pair these shorts with the platforms we talked about earlier. Check out Urban Outfitters and Guess? for a variety of shorts in this style.

Over-the-shoulder bags – This season you’re going to see less hand bags and small purses and more medium-sized over-the-shoulder bags. Again, shy away from leather and go for a bag in a neutral color with bold patterns and prints. The straw tote is also a cute option. Check out Urban Outfitters or Nordstrom for a several different options.