UN gives alumna rare internship

By Christina Peluso

Fighting for the rights of others has always been a priority in Rachael Dietkus’ life. In college Dietkus helped establish the student chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, and she is now president of the Champaign County ACLU. She also was program director at the Illinois Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty based in Chicago.

Now, Dietkus, director of development at the University YMCA and University alumna, is currently a delegate to the United Nations 62nd Commission on Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland. Dietkus was one of six women chosen from across the globe to participate in an internship program with the World YWCA where she will serve as a short-term advocacy intern. She is the only person from the United States selected as a delegate this year.

Dietkus has been in Geneva since Tuesday, March 7 and will be there until April 29. She will be working particularly on human rights and women’s rights issues. The internship is scheduled around the United Nations’ annual six-week meeting held by the Commission on Human Rights, where she will be one of four delegates representing the World YWCA.

The YWCA USA national office in Washington, DC nominated Dietkus. She was selected to focus on issues of economic, social, civil, political, and cultural rights. Capital punishment and torture at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba will be two of her main focuses.

“I was honored to just simply be nominated,” Dietkus said. “The program provides an incredible opportunity to truly be a part of international human rights issues. I have had a deep interest in civil rights and liberties and other political issues, namely working against the death penalty, for well over a decade. The chance to be a delegate with the UN seemed like a natural next step that will hopefully open more doors in this kind of work.”

The UN’s Commission on Human Rights is the world’s primary human rights body, she said.

Dietkus is working on issues related to the reform of the commission.

“To be witness of this debate of reform is historic,” she said. “And to be part of a delegation that can have a great impact on that work for years to come just blows my mind.”

In an e-mail to friends on March 14, Dietkus wrote about the historic events.

“‘Coordination and compromise by all regions’ was emphasized,” she wrote.

“I don’t know if I can really articulate just how incredible it is to be witness – in person – to what happened this morning,” she added. “In the 60 plus years of the CHR meeting, this has NEVER happened. So on one hand I am completely dumbfounded that things can be derailed so quickly.”

She continued saying that it was more than the U.S. causing problems.

“Many much smaller countries without the chance of gambling politically have allied with the U.S. on these reform issues,” she explained.

No matter what exactly was happening and who was the cause, Dietkus stressed the event’s importance.

“On the other hand, what will happen in the coming days and weeks will certainly set the course for global human rights issues in the years to come,” she wrote. “This truly is historic.”

The commission, when operating under normal circumstances, addressed 19 agenda items. Typically it starts off with a segment where foreign ministers report on the status of their countries. Most issues relate to specific countries and their abuses, civil and political rights, and economic, social, and cultural rights.

There is also a particular emphasis on the human rights of women in a gender perspective, including violence against women, rights of the child, racism and racial discrimination, the right to development, the rights of displaced individuals, migrant workers and other vulnerable groups, and indigenous issues, Dietkus explained.

Dietkus’ coworkers are all proud of her.

“She’s very bright, very committed and very focused,” Steve Shoemaker, executive director of the University YMCA, said. “I think she will represent this country well.”

Shoemaker also emphasized the importance of representing the United States.

“The U.S. is not known world-wide as a leader in human rights,” he said. “On the world stage (this is) a very politicized event.”

Lisha Banks, executive director of the University YWCA, worked with Dietkus when she was program coordinator of the YWCA. Banks encouraged her to become more involved with the YWCA. The YW-USA is making a dedicated effort to getting younger women involved, she said. A regional coordinator of the YWCA Great Lakes Alliance told Dietkus to apply for the internship program.

“We were all just so excited,” Banks said. “They haven’t chosen anyone in the U.S. in quite some time.”

While Banks said Dietkus’ job was important, she was confident Dietkus would be up to the challenge.

“She really is an amazing woman,” Banks said. “She’s been doing advocacy work since she was an undergrad here.”

Banks said she believes her history of work sets her apart.

“It was because of her advocacy work that she came to the attention of the (Great Lakes Alliance),” Banks said. “To have Rachael chosen was really quite an honor.”