Comic world offers exciting escape

By Kiyoshi Martinez

Finals are hard and all too real, which is why sometimes you need to escape into a world where people can fly, villains wear ridiculous outfits and history is rewritten to be a lot more interesting.

Of course, I’m talking about comic books. OK, so maybe not everyone gets as excited as I do on Wednesdays, waiting for class to get over so I can read the latest Green Lantern. But there are a large variety of books out there that works well for a quick break and has compelling stories and astounding visuals.

There’s no better time to enter the D.C. Comics universe than now. Having just wrapped up its mega-crossover event, “Infinite Crisis,” D.C. has decided to jump the entire universe ahead one full year and give new readers a great place to jump on board and not be completely confused about prior history. If you’ve been looking to catch up on classic heroes such as Superman, Batman or Aquaman, now is the time.

Personally, I’m a huge Green Lantern fan, and there are no less than three individual titles featuring the emerald warriors. If you’re more of a Silver Age fan of Hal Jordan, pick up the “Green Lantern” title. Coming straight out of the pages of “Infinite Crisis,” Kyle Rayner has transformed into a Lantern that no longer needs a power ring in “Ion.” And the policemen of the universe return in “Green Lantern Corps.”

But hey, maybe you’re not a D.C. Comics fan and, instead, would rather dabble in the Marvel Comics universe. Now would also be a good time to jump aboard – if you like crossovers. Marvel is introducing “Civil War,” where the heroes are pitted against each other after the government introduces a law requiring all superheroes to register. Writer Mark Millar (of “The Ultimates” fame) has placed Captain America and Iron Man on opposing sides of the law for this event. While the miniseries title “Civil War” itself is only seven issues, there are 74 comic books total that feature parts of this crossover. Be warned: crossovers drain your bank account faster than dollar-bottle night.

But perhaps the mainstream big two are not your style. There are plenty of comics out there that do a great job at bringing fun back into the industry. Perhaps most recently is the independent Superverse title “Zoom Suit.” Imagine if a teenager (a la Peter Parker) happens to discover the coolest Halloween costume ever: an alien mechanical suit that lets him fly and move at super speeds. Of course, this wouldn’t be complete without the government wanting this piece of misappropriated technology back. Issue #1 just hit the stands, and it’s worth the cover price, as every page is printed on a high quality paper stock that allows for a metallic-sheen effect that I’ve yet to see reproduced anywhere.

If you’re really looking to take an extended break, picking up collected editions of comic books, also known as trade paperbacks, might be a better bet. As always, revisiting some “classics” such as Alan Moore’s “Watchmen” and Frank Miller’s “The Dark Knight Returns” are picks you can’t go wrong with. Both provide social commentary and go beyond the typical superhero story, and many argue that those books influenced a change in comic books today.

More recent trades worth picking up might be any from Kurt Busiek’s “Astro City” line. Besides featuring wonderful cover artwork from Alex Ross, “Astro City” tells stories of superheroes that don’t necessarily follow the convention of the good versus evil plotline. Instead, it focuses on the lives of those impacted by the actions of superheroes. Busiek takes the archetypes made popular by D.C. and Marvel and frames characters around those to use as a backdrop for the stories of individuals that have a more human element. The stories are more thought provoking than the standard fare, and having collected editions makes for an enjoyable read in one sitting.

So, that’s my quick rundown on some distractions beyond the fourth wall. Check them out if you’ve got the time. Unless, of course, you’d rather be studying.