‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ visits campus

By Jim Vorel

Gather your palms. After much anticipation of its long-expected return, the touring production of the long-running musical “Jesus Christ Superstar” arrives at Assembly Hall Thursday, at 7 p.m.

The production, which is the next in the News Gazette Broadway Series, is a highly anticipated revival directed by Dallett Norris and features the talents of Ted Neeley as Jesus and Corey Glover as Judas.

Neeley, who turned 63 on Wednesday, the day before the premiere, returns triumphantly to the role of Jesus that he has portrayed countless times on stage, and also in the 1973 feature film “Jesus Christ Superstar.”

Fans of the production may find this tour to be their last chance to see Neeley portray Jesus on stage, as this may be his last tour, giving the production an extra sense of importance.

“We are really excited to have Mr. Neeley here to bring this show to life,” said Jennifer Larson, Assembly Hall’s Assistant Director of Marketing. “We expect many of Mr. Neeley’s fans to turn out to see the production.”

While the audience can look forward to seeing familiar faces, there will also be a few new performers.

Larson said she is happy to welcome Corey Glover, who is best known as the lead singer of the rock band, Living Colour, to the show. Glover is premiering as Judas in his first touring show.

“We’re extremely excited to have him here,” she said.

Living Colour won the 1989 Grammy for Hard Rock Performance for their hit “Cult of Personality” before disbanding in 1994, and then reforming in 2001. In 2003, they released their album, “Collideoscope.”

Glover also has released a solo album entitled “Hymns” in 1998, and has acted in television and movies, including Oliver Stone’s “Platoon.” He is a fresh face bringing new energy to a cast that is headed by director Norris.

“What could be better than having Ted Neeley, so grand in the film, on board as we delve into Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice’s brilliant musical telling of this timeless story,” said Norris, who has also directed “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” “Can-Can” and “South Pacific.”

“Their idea of setting this tale in terms that immediately resonate with today’s audiences is revolutionary. Here we are, twenty-one centuries later, and it is oh, so clear: we need the message of this story now more than ever,” he said.

This story, billed as “The Greatest Ever Told,” expects to fill Assembly Hall – all 17,200 seats of it – though tickets should still be available for purchase the night of the show.

“Jesus Christ Superstar” is the first in this year’s News Gazette Broadway Series, which will also feature “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” “Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy,” “Wonderful Town” and “Aida.” Information on the series can be found at Assembly Hall’s Web site at http://www.uofiassemblyhall.com.

The miraculous message of “Jesus Christ Superstar” is sure to be appreciated by the patrons tonight, as fans both old and young are introduced, or reacquainted, with this classic story set to song and dance. For over 35 years, audiences have been singing its praises.