Ludacris rocks Assembly Hall

By Kristen Sackley

With the AXE Clix tour bus accompanying him along with numerous musical artists and even an NBA player, Ludacris rolled into the Assembly Hall for the second time last night.

The concert got started with many artists including Young Joc and Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest, who is beginning his own musical career. The crowd grew larger and larger as the anticipation of Ludacris built and by the time he took the stage at just before 10 pm, about half of the C tier was filled.

Chris ‘Ludacris’ Bridges opened with Number One Spot off his most recent album “Red Light District”, and followed up with a fan favorites like “Act A Fool”, “Southern Hospitality” and “Area Codes.”

Despite his new album Release Therapy, which will be in stores on Tuesday, Ludacris played mostly older songs, and only finished up the show with his new single Money Maker.

In an interview before the show, Ludacris had a lot to say about his new album and how different Release Therapy is from previous albums.

“You can expect a more personal side on this album,” he said. “I never really touched on my personal side. my thoughts on so many things, about family, about relationships. It’s about releasing and getting a lot of stuff off my chest.”

Ludacris said he worked with many artists on this new album including Mary J. Blige, R. Kelly and Young Jeezy and that he played around with different sounds on this one.

“There’s trying different genres of music, there’s a rock n’ roll element in one of the songs, there’s like some pop rave type feel to another one, there’s some jazz.”

One of the highlights of the show for Illini Basketball fans was when Ludacris brought former players and University alumni, all of whom are now in the NBA, up on stage with him. The crowd went wild at the sight of Dee Brown, Luther Head and Deron Williams all on the stage with Ludacris for a memorable Champaign finale.