TEAM’s Night Market generates food, beliefs, cultures on Quad

By Janice McDuffee

One evening ten years ago, an Indian-American woman walked to her car on campus and was harassed by an unprovoked group of men who shouted insulting ethnic slurs.

From this incident, Together Encouraging the Appreciation of Multiculturalism, a registered student organization also known as TEAM, was developed. The organization’s goal is to teach students about other cultures in order to prevent prejudice.

TEAM invites students to understand multiple cultures through events like Night Market, which exposes students to different food and entertainment from cultures around the world.

TEAM works with 13 additional cultural registered student organizations for this event. Each organization will bring sample-sized food from their representative culture at Night Market. The Hindu Student Council will provide mango lassi, a dish consisting of yogurt and mango whipped together.

Hemang Srikishan, junior in LAS and a discussion chairperson for the Hindu Student Council, explained that Night Market is appealing because it allows its members to meet new people from all ethnic backgrounds including their own.

“We love to spread Indian culture in general as well as Hindu ideology,” he said. “We like to have people who aren’t Hindu, who may have no religion at all, come celebrate festivals with us.”

Some other dishes include nasi lemak from the Singapore Student Association, pupusa from the Central and South American Student Association, kugel, bagels and lox from Hillel Leadership Council, dumplings from the Asian American Association and passion fruit mousse from the Brazilian Student Association.

Entertainment events feature Chaitown, Chinese Yo-Yo, No Comment A Cappella, a Karate demonstration, Illini Chandi and Yapong Dance performed by six girls from the Indonesian Student Association.

Even with such cultural representation, some students like Diana Mora, senior in LAS, are doubtful about the effectiveness of events like Night Market.

“It helps, but to a limited extent,” she said. “Food and dances are fun, but won’t really teach students to appreciate other cultures.”

Ashley Wessendorf, junior in Engineering and director of Night Market, said there are other reasons to attend Night Market other than free food and entertainment.

“It’s a great, non-threatening way for students to be introduced to new cultures,” she said. “So if they want to learn something or get involved in one of these clubs it’s a great reason to come.”

This is the group’s fifth year hosting the Night Market. Anniversary Plaza, the area on the south side of the Illini Union, will be decorated with lights for the event tonight from 7-10 p.m.

Students are encouraged to come enjoy the festivities at no charge. If there is rain, it will be moved to the Foreign Language Building Lobby.