Easy auditions, smooth presentation disguise difficult organizational work

Models show off their clothing on stage in the Fuzion Latina/o Fashion Show 2005 at the Illini Union last Nov. 3. Sponsored by the Illini Union Board, the show featured casual, business, and formal dress. Josh Birnbaum The Daily Illini

Models show off their clothing on stage in the “Fuzion Latina/o Fashion Show 2005” at the Illini Union last Nov. 3. Sponsored by the Illini Union Board, the show featured casual, business, and formal dress. Josh Birnbaum The Daily Illini

By Kathy Khazanova

Not sure what she was getting herself into, Myrna Rivas, a freshman in LAS, tried out this September to be a model for the annual Latino/a fashion show hosted by the Illini Union Board.

“You came in one by one,” Rivas said of the audition. “They asked you to walk here and here and make a pose, and they would let us know by e-mail later that week.”

Along with a diverse group of students, Rivas was asked to participate in this year’s Latino fashion show, “Noche de Travesura,” or “Night of Mischief.” One of the biggest Latino events on campus, the fashion show has a new chairperson this year, and is going in a new direction.

“This show is more diverse than last year,” said Celena Santana, senior in LAS and chair for the Illini Union Board’s Latino/a programs.

“(The models) don’t have to be Latino; that’s a major misconception,” Santana said. “We don’t discriminate, as long as you have confidence.”

The ethnic variety of models reflects the main goal of the show this year – to bring out a more diverse audience.

“We’re trying to encourage everyone to come out and see it,” said Carla Cofre, junior in LAS and area coordinator for IUB cultural programs.

Time and hard work were the main elements that went into producing the show.

“It looks easy,” Santana said. “But people don’t realize what it takes to make it look so easy.”

Each model is assigned a scene, such as formal or night-life. The models then come up with creative walks and poses to display their clothes, which either come from their own closets or from clothing companies that want to display their products in the show.

Getting men’s clothing proved to be the one of the biggest challenges. Although the male models could provide their own clothes, clothing provided by companies or stores in the area is preferred.

“A lot of clothing companies have been there, done that, and had a bad experience and don’t want to do it again,” Cofre said. “Other companies are corporate and can’t (provide clothes) because they would have to go through headquarters.”

But Santana said the hard work will pay off in the end.

“When I finally take a step back and look at where we are, I realize we have done a lot,” she said. “Now it’s just a matter of perfecting it before the show.”

The show will take place on Nov. 4 at 7 p.m. in the A, B and C rooms of the Illini Union. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and tickets will be available at the door at $3 for students with ID and $5 for the general public.