Savvy online shoppers can earn money from new site

By Missy Smith

With the upcoming shopping season quickly approaching, many people will begin searching for that perfect gift at the perfect price.

People will shop online and spend hours in various stores scouring for the best deals.

Now, with the newly launched Web site, Modoshi.com, people can stop searching and locate many deals in one place while making a profit at the same time.

Modoshi, which means “to give back” in Japanese, allows people to find deals, post them and make a commission when those items are sold.

Vaishali Angal, cofounder of Modoshi, said that this Web site should especially appeal to college students.

“It is definitely something that students can make a buck on the side, and we pay commission for finding a good deal,” Angal said.

“It is a fun and easy way for students to make money,” she added.

Modoshi appeals to the online community to find the best deals.

Once someone finds a good idea, people are encouraged to post it on the Web site.

This alerts other members of Modoshi about the deals, and gives them the opportunity to purchase it.

Modoshi ensures that the deals posted are accurate by using a software program to verify all of the item information posted, according to the press release.

This ensures buyer safety and avoids false deals.

This online community and others like it, said Angal, will be the next trend to emerge on the Web, and college students will make it prominent.

“The next phase is that all these contributors will start asking for a payback,” she said.

“I feel like awareness of the coming online trend will be decided by college students who are at the center,” she added.

Declan Holzman, freshman in Engineering, has mixed feelings about the rise of this new trend.

“While it makes sense that in the coming years there will be more opportunities for an individual to easily make money on the net, their model will probably only work on a limited basis,” Holtzman said.

Students like Holtzman will make or break this trend.

Angal said that students often are the people to whom others turn to see what the next big thing is, because they are on the cutting edge.

For that reason, she added, college students are the right audience to help people find the best deals.

However, this Web site is different from other similar online shopping sites, which Angal said she feels makes it a better choice.

“All these Web sites keep the commission, but we give the commission back,” Angal said.

“If you are a great shopper, all of these deal posts can add up. If you post them, you can easily make up to 200 to 300 dollars a month,” she added.

This is especially helpful around the holiday season, when people are searching for ways to make extra money.

Modoshi itself does not sell anything, and all the deals on the site are verified as legitimate.

It is an absolutely free Web site to use, yet there is a profit that can be made, which makes it ideal, Angal said.