New on the Shelf

By Jessica Krinke

The way we get our music may be changing soon, but one fact remains the same. There is always something new to look for. In The last week of January, The Shins released their anticipated third album, “Wincing the Night Away.” The disc went straight to the number one seat on the Billboard chart in its first week, and since Billboard.com is calling it The Shins best work yet, Wincing shows no signs of slowing down. WPGU DJ Pete Meersman, better known to most listeners as The Red Baron and host of The In Crowd, has this to say about the latest batch of music from these Sub Pop darlings:

“The Shins have been regularly played on The In Crowd. People have been requesting it like crazy. Whenever I play it, they always wanna know who it is and I keep getting questions about when we’re gonna play other stuff off their album”

The album’s first single “Phantom Limb” has it’s seen a good share of airplay since its release back in November of ’06. While the album has been noted as the band’s most experimental yet, it keeps The Shins’ signature swing from high spirits to haunting melancholy with ultra melodic vocals. Shins fans have already shown with record sales soaring over the one hundred thousand mark that they approve, and new fans seem to be coming along all the time.

“I think that they’re definitely straying from the sound that they created but everyone who listens to it really enjoys it. I’ve gotten a wealth of calls from people who just wanna hear other songs from off the album. Everyone enjoys the new Shins.”

The band is busy on their requisite promotion tour as they hit a sold out show at Chicago’s Congress Theater on the 10th. “Wincing the Night Away” is currently available in stores and online everywhere. For more information on this Albuquerque foursome, visit theshins.com.

Other music to watch for this week includes a sophomore album from Bloc Party titled “A Weekend in the City” and the third disc from Fall Out Boy called “Infinity on High.” Both released this past Tuesday the 6th.