Love-struck consumers star in personalized romance novels, give them as gifts

By Kathy Khazanova

Valentine’s Day is commonly associated with chocolates, flowers and Hallmark cards. Book By You publishing company provides an alternative to the traditional gifts. They give consumers, along with their significant other, the chance to star in a personalized romance novel.

With titles ranging from “Medieval Passion” to “ER Fever,” these books incorporate personal details provided by the buyer into a pre-written story. To purchase a novel, you fill out a questionnaire online and pick which plot you want for your book.

The questionnaire asks for the physical features, nicknames and pet names of the hero of the story, the heroine and the heroine’s best friend. The cover is also personalized, with the names of the hero and heroine printed on the cover along with a photograph.

Mike Pocock, founder and president of Book By You, came up with the idea of selling personalized romance novels while on a beach in California with his girlfriend.

“It started out with me thinking about the things I’ve done that are wild and wacky,” Pocock said. “But they’re not anymore wild and wacky than what everyone else does. You go on vacation and fall in love. I wanted to write about the things I’ve done.”

Pocock says the most popular title is “Pirates of Desire.”

“I think that’s because of the genre and the title,” Pocock said. “It’s so exciting.”

Many people have a hard time coming up with an original gift idea, says Pocock.

“(The novels) are unique and romantic,” he said. “They beat flowers and roses.”

Jon Niemerg, freshman in LAS, disagrees.

“That’s the weirdest idea I’ve ever heard of as far as romance goes,” Niemerg said. “I like originality, but sometimes its good to be classy and traditional. I’d probably just stay with flowers and chocolate.”

Barb Halm, freshman in AHS, would prefer to receive traditional gifts as well.

“I’d be a little creeped out (if I got a novel as a gift),” Halm said. “I wouldn’t think it was cute, I’d just be like, ‘OK thanks.'”

Pocock says college-age students do purchase these novels.

The people who end up buying these novels are “all ages, from 20 up,” he says.

“If you have a girlfriend who likes reading, you might get it for her,” said Mike Wojcikowski, sophomore in LAS. “But guys don’t read romance novels. Maybe only in secret.”

Pocock has a personalized version of each of the eight titles.

“I put my name in when we test the books,” Pocock said. “All my editors get to read about me when I’m releasing a new book.”

How to get a Book By You

Novels are available for purchase at www.bookbyyou.com or by phone. Each book costs $39.90, including shipping and handling.