‘Zodiac’ intrigues despite length

By Jessica Krinke

For ten months between 1969 and 1970, a serial killer terrorizes Northern California, committing one vicious and mysterious murder of opportunity after another. Police departments all over the state set quickly on the trail of The Zodiac Killer as local newspapers publish his cryptic codes and letters in Zodiac.

Jake Gyllenhaal plays an eager, young cartoonist for the San Francisco Chronicle and Robert Downey Jr. is the jaded, alcoholic crime columnist. Both reporters slowly become wrapped up in the lore of The Zodiac as Mark Ruffalo and Anthony Edwards play the main detectives assigned to track him down.

When it comes to period movies, I love the details. For me, Zodiac does a great job of setting the feel of the late sixties and early seventies from the days of smoking in the workplace, to the clothes, the use of music, and even the cars in the street. The progression through time and the aging of the characters and their families is also interesting to watch unfold. Jake Gyllenhaal’s performance reminds me of his more innocent roles like in October Sky, but with more maturity as his character begins to teeter on the verge of madness in his quest to solve the Zodiac murders where the police had failed.

Great performances are also given by Ruffalo and Downey Jr. as the focus of the film becomes not the murders themselves but the way the investigation of these crimes completely consumes all who take it on.

My only complaint would have to be the film’s length, as I was not expecting a nearly three hour movie. While the plot does start to drag in the middle, it is effective in demonstrating the length of time the police have devoted to this infamous case.

I would recommend Zodiac and give it four out of five stars. It’s not jump out of your seat scary, but it will play games with your mind and make you question which characters you trust. Just remember, don’t stop for anyone on the way home.