Comedy festival: Bite-Sized

Dana Larson

Dana Larson

By Dan Fischer

Undiscovered aspiring comics of Urbana-Champaign have their chance to be heard and receive their 10 minutes of fame, with perhaps more to come if they are well-received.

The Illini Union Board will hold the “Bite-Sized Comedy Festival” in the Illini Union Courtyard Caf‚ at 8 p.m. on Saturday, April 28.

“My whole concept behind this was, ‘Let’s give as many people as possible the chance to perform,'” said Dan Newman, vice president for policy of the Illini Union Board. “The appeal of this festival is going to be such a wide variety of performers.”

Alex Wayman, senior in LAS, is part of Illini Film and Video, which is putting together a series of short comedy films for the festival.

“Any exposure we can get, we want,” he said. “We have some great stuff, and we’re just hoping to grab some fans.”

Anne Shivers is a sophomore in LAS working on the same project. She said she’s excited for the chance to show a film in a comedy-centered competition.

“It’s a really great avenue for us to show our work in that kind of context, instead of a film festival where comedy works don’t generally do as well as the more serious ones,” she said. “This really gives us a chance to show off what we do best, which is the comedy.”

Newman said there will be a series of performances lasting 10 minutes or less and including, but not limited to, stand-up and group performances as well as short films.

“If someone can come up with something funny that’s 10 minutes or less and doesn’t break any laws, we’d be happy to have them,” Newman said. He is anticipating 12 to 18 performers, with as many as 24, but also wants to maintain a mix of styles and keep the program fairly short so spectators can go out afterwards, if they choose.

The event is free for spectators and those eligible to perform are not limited to University students. Newman thinks this will provide the event with a large talent pool.

“We do have a lot of talent on this campus,” Newman said. “I mean when you have 40,000 people plus the community, you’re talking a lot of very funny people.”

At the end of the evening, audience members will have the chance to vote on their favorite routine, and, to increase the stakes for performers, there will be a $150, $100, and $50 prize for first, second, and third places, respectively.

Ballots will also feature a way for audience members to ask for more information about comics they find particularly entertaining.

“If you don’t like what’s on stage, just wait a few minutes, and it’s going to be gone,” Newman said. “Conversely, if you like what’s on stage, we’re going to give you the option so you can go and see more of that performer.”

The deadline for performers to sign up is Friday, April 13 in Illini Union Room 227 or by e-mail at [email protected].

Newman said he thinks laughter may be just the solution to soothe frazzled nerves as the semester enters its most hectic period.

“It’s going to be a great way for people to de-stress right before finals,” Newman said.