Recycled Rhythms plays fresh sounds on unique instruments

By Alyse Harper

Champaign-based band Recycled Rhythms performed at Allen Hall, 1005 W. Gregory Dr., on Friday. Recycled Rhythms is a musical group, which uses trash to create their instruments and raises environmental awareness while teaching people about Brazilian culture.

Chad Dunn, of Champaign, is an instrument maker and the lead percussionist of Recycled Rhythms. He has a long history of instrument making and performing. His instruments are sold across the country to bands performing with Sting, Destiny’s Child and Paul Simon. But it was after a trip to Brazil that Dunn learned a new form of music from another percussionist.

“I do percussion workshops that are Brazilian based … in Brazil, I hooked up with an environmentalist, instrumentalist and he was making drums out of car tires that were in his (polluted) neighborhood.”

Dunn liked the idea and decided to take it to the states.

He expressed interest in performing the unique style of music and was asked to showcase it at the Sun Foundation’s “Clean Water Celebration” in Peoria. When he learned the crowd was going to be near 4,000 people, he quickly recruited fellow musicians and friends Jenna Cameron and Ben Juday as part of his band. He also incorporated dancers, special lighting and audio effects into their performances.

Recycled Rhythms performs Brazilian-style samba music using instruments that Dunn learned to make while in South America. The instruments sound very similar to traditional ones except the sound tends to resonate more from the tire drums. Dunn says that the typical audience reaction is amazement and curiosity from both children and adults.

“We have gotten no negative vibes,” Dunn said. “(The show) brings out a positive reaction and positive excitement about the possibilities. People want to know how did you do this, how did it start, what’s the next step and can you come to our school … people are also really surprised we are from the Champaign area.”

Along with last week’s performance, Recycled Rhythms also had a workshop on Thursday in Allen Hall. Randy Champagne, Allen Hall resident advisor and junior in engineering, is one of the coordinators for both events. Champagne is fond of the band and Brazilian culture and thought it would be interesting to have them perform and play at Allen Hall.

“I saw them perform at the Krannert Center for the Martin Luther King Day event,” Champagne said. “I had heard of them before but when I saw them I was really intrigued.”

Champagne was also drawn to the group because of the environmental awareness incorporated into the show. The workshops teach adults and children about environmental issues. Participants also do community cleanups in lakes, ditches and alleyways and are then shown how to make instruments out of what they have found.

In the band’s two-year history, their message and performances have brought forth many opportunities for nationwide success including possible nationwide tours. However, the band’s main goal is not gaining fame or fortune. Dunn said they simply want to teach people to get involved to improve their community.

“In North America everything is easy to get,” Dunn said. “In some other countries it’s not easy at all … I’m urging kids to step away from the Gameboy and Ninetendo DS and let’s get back to our roots and using our hands to build things.”