Andrew Bird rocks Canopy Club

By Missy Smith

The atmosphere at the Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin, was relaxing, setting the ambiance of a very chill concert, which is exactly what Andrew Bird produced.

It’s not very often that an audience can partake in an actual live production of music, and what Bird does is indeed a production.

With the stage rather modestly decorated, only two curved phonograph horns stand out amongst the set up for a band. This band is a completely unique take of the traditional sense of what music is and what genre is.

Paul Katsen, freshman in LAS, said what drew him to Bird was the unique arrangements of music which is all produced live in front of the audience.

“The fact that he can do that live is unbelievable,” said Katsen. “He loops what he plays, and plays it over again, making it sound like it is an entire band. It’s like he is playing and producing at the same time.”

Not only does Bird play and produce at the same time, he constantly shifts from instrument to instrument. Often times, he switches from violin to guitar to playing the violin like a banjo. It is with this cross over that Bird is able to transcend the boundaries of traditional genres and produce a sound that is completely unique and mesmerizing.

As Bird plays, the audience is drawn in and stands in utter awe of his talent. The perfect rhythm of the instruments blends to produce a sound so perfect, it is likely to be heaven sent. When club goes silent, all that can be heard is Bird’s flawless sound, which is quickly offset by his perfectly pitched whistle.

Sergei Pourmal, freshman in LAS, said that he saw Bird over the summer, but it cannot really compare to the more personal aspect of indoors. In this new setting, he was most anxious to hear one thing, his amazing whistling.

It is just another aspect of Bird’s music that sets him apart from everyone else that would be lopped in his genre. This uniqueness has accumulated into a steady fan base, one of which is Patrick Hackett, freshman in LAS, who has been a fan for a little over a year.

“Bird is a fantastic artist who produces wonderful music,” Hackett said. “It is so chill and awesome.”

His music touches the audience because his melancholy voices oozes sadness but a beauty as well. His music reinvents the traditional ideas of what music should be, and lets the audience experience what truly uninhibited music can be, free from the constraints of society.

Check him out, you won’t regret it.