Get involved with Student Senate

By Justin Randall

Justin is the Student Body President.

The Illinois Student Senate serves as the “Official Voice of the Student Body” at the Urbana-Champaign branch of the University of Illinois. The Student Senate works hard to represent the views and needs of the student body to the campus administration, local, state, and federal governments. The Student Senate also focuses on improving the campus environment for all students by promoting health, safety, and active student participation on campus.

Student Senators have dual roles, as they also represent students in their colleges in the Urbana-Champaign Student/Faculty Senate, or U-C Senate. The U-C Senate is the main policy-making body for our campus, affecting the daily lives of students on everything from grading policies, to student discipline, to University admission policies, to the length of spring and fall breaks.

The membership of the Illinois Student Senate is as diverse as the campus of the University of Illinois. In fact, not every member of the Student Senate is a senator. We have many active members who are regular students serving on various Student Senate and Campus Committees, working on specific issues, or to promote and develop Student Senate programming. We encourage all students on campus at the University of Illinois to apply for a committee position, as membership is open to all students!

For more information about the Illinois Student Senate, please visit our Web site at www.iss.uiuc.edu or contact our Student Body President, Justin Randall at [email protected].

Important information about the Illinois Student Senate

• The Illinois Student Senate was created in Spring 2004 as a replacement for the ailing Illinois Student Government Assembly and the Student Senate Caucus. The primary goal of the change was to increase accountability and participation in student government on campus.

The Student Senate achieves this by expanding the number of elected and volunteer members, while at the same time consolidating functions that had previously been performed by a number of different organizations.

• The Illinois Student Senate meets every Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Pine Lounge of the Illini Union Building during the semester, excluding Thanksgiving break, spring break and finals week.
  • All students and administrators are welcome to attend meetings and speak during public comment.
  • Meetings are broadcast on Insight Cable Channel 7 on Mondays at 7 p.m.
  • Illinois Student Senate sponsors the conducting of instructor evaluations at the end of every semester. The results of these evaluations are posted online at www.iss.uiuc.edu/ices.asp.
  • Illinois Student Senate sponsors the Know Your Rights campaign, a program geared toward informing students of their rights when dealing with law enforcement officials and gives them tips on how to handle situations involving police or other emergency response units.
  • Student Senate office hours are as follows: Monday – Thursday, 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.; Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Saturday, noon – 6 p.m.; and Sunday, noon – 11:30 p.m. To get to the office, take the southwest staircase or elevator to the second floor of the Union. The Student Government Complex and Offices are through the glass doors at the back of the Registered Student Organization Complex.
  • If you are interested in getting involved with Illinois Student Senate, please contact Jameson O’Guinn at [email protected].
  • Official Illinois Student Senate roster can be found at www.iss.uiuc.edu. This roster will provide you with information about which senators are representing your college as well as other valuable information about the Senate.
  • The Student Code of Conduct are the rules that apply to all University students. This is useful to learn about student rights in regards to student conduct, academic integrity and grades.

Source: www.iss.uiuc.edu