Fashion Week gets some star power

Gwen Stefani at the L.A.M.B. showroom, a day before the 2008 Spring Fashion Week in New York on Tuesday. Stefani will be at Fashion Week before heading off for a concert tour in Europe. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, ODED BALILTY

AP

By Samantha Critchell

NEW YORK – Gwen Stefani had a handful of days free between the Asian and European legs of her concert tour – and they just happened to be during New York Fashion Week. The window allowed her to schedule what surely will be a standing-room-only runway show of her L.A.M.B. collection on Wednesday, the first of eight days of spring style previews.

Coincidence?

“I don’t know how it worked out,” said Stefani. “I might have been aware way back when that it was Fashion Week. Music has come first, but I started L.A.M.B. so I’d have a creative outlet after my music career and it’s just taken off. … But I would have never done it if I wasn’t going to do it for real.”

It’s that attitude that has given Stefani credibility in the fashion community.

The somewhat jaded editors, stylists and retailers – who’ve also seen splashy shows by Jennifer Lopez and Sean “Diddy” Combs and have an unfulfilled promise by Beyonce to put her House of Dereon clothes on the catwalk – seem to be welcoming Stefani back for her second big gig here with open arms.

“We think Gwen Stefani’s L.A.M.B. collection is a terrific kick off to the first evening of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. As more and more celebrities enter the fashion industry we see a great synergy and energy … the L.A.M.B. line is clearly at the top of these lines and is as unique and individual as Gwen herself,” said Fern Mallis, senior vice president of IMG Fashion, which organizes the event that attracts 14,000 people daily to the Bryant Park tents.

Most of the shows, will once again be at the tents right in Midtown. Some big names in fashion, however, including Donna Karan, Marc Jacobs and for the first time in recent history, Oscar de la Renta, hold their shows in what they deem more atmospheric spaces throughout the city.

Highlights this year will include Ralph Lauren celebrating his 40 years in fashion with a special show and black-tie dinner at the Conservatory Gardens in Central Park on Saturday night.Stefani, however, thinks fashion is likely a growing part of her life. “This is so in my heart,” she told the Associated Press in a telephone interview. “I make the clothes for myself, clothes I’d want to wear. I want clothes that have quality and style.”

But even if the look is her own, inspired by a combination of Jamaican rastafarians, English school girls and Orange County, Calif., teens, Stefani says L.A.M.B. couldn’t happen without a larger team, especially stylist Andrea Lieberman, whom Stefani met on the set of an Eve video years ago.

“It just clicked. I found someone who got me. She grew up in New York and knows fashion. I went to the mall when I was young. She fills in my gaps,” Stefani said.

And they’ve come a long way since that first Fashion Week show two years ago when they were scavenging for belts and shoes at the last minute. L.A.M.B. now makes its own accessories and the signature fragrance is rolling out. (In the interim she also has staged some smaller collection previews.)

“We’re still learning, but we also have accomplished stuff that shocks me. I don’t want to brag, but I’m feel pretty proud of a lot of this,” Stefani said.

Finola Hughes, the former TV soap star who has become a fixture at Fashion Week for the Style network and currently host of “How Do I Look?”, likes Stefani’s rock ‘n’ roll perspective.

“I actually think she’s got a fantastic eye. Her clothing is well made and fits brilliantly,” Hughes said. “She has great taste informed by Vivienne Westwood, Jean Paul Gaultier – some really good designers. And she’s heavy into tailoring and detail.”

Hughes says she owns some L.A.M.B. skirts and pants, and her favorite is a black suit with an intricate pirate-sleeve detail.

As for the upcoming spring looks, Stefani says she’s been influenced by the whirlwind life she has led over the past year as a new mother traveling the globe. “Fashion is art, it’s always affected by circumstance. … The last collection when I was pregnant, I was totally affected by my weird body.”

In general, the fall clothes on the runway last February and in stores now have a very polished look, which Hughes would like to see even more of.

She probably will.