YouTube to air UI show

Cast members of One Fine Day! take time to relax. Clockwise from bottom: Elisha Reichert, Dan Papas, Robert Dignan and Kevin Zaideman. PHOTO COURTESY OF DEREK KLEIN

Cast members of “One Fine Day!” take time to relax. Clockwise from bottom: Elisha Reichert, Dan Papas, Robert Dignan and Kevin Zaideman. PHOTO COURTESY OF DEREK KLEIN

By Kathy Khazanova

Perhaps you’ve witnessed an incident like this while living in a residence hall: an intoxicated male finds his way to the female part of the residence hall and instead of wearing his pants on his legs, he has them on his arms and is waving them above his head. He then begins to dance obscenely.

This is a scene from the first episode of “One Fine Day!” set to premiere on Oct. 4. The series is a University student-produced, written, directed and acted production. The plot features four friends who are resident advisors at a fictional residence hall, depicting their friendship and the various incidents they encounter. The six-part series will be posted on YouTube, as well as on the show’s blog.

The project was started last spring by two former resident advisors, who are also the show’s producers and writers. The inspiration for the show comes from their experiences working at Illinois Street Residence Halls.

“(As resident advisors) we get to hear all the fun stories of what goes on,” said Marc Morin, Jr., senior in Engineering and co-producer and co-writer of the series. “You watch MTV Real World and see what goes on in their lives, and you realize it’s nothing compared to what goes on in our lives. It’s less petty drama, more funny incidents.”

Derek Klein, executive producer and lead writer of the show, said that a residence hall is a good backdrop for the series.

“I think a lot of people find incidents in the residence halls amusing,” said Klein, senior in Communications. “Hopefully people learn to like our characters and relate a little bit.”

The show has three male leads and one female lead. Although Klein and Morin have basic ideas of what the characters should be like, they give the actors room to develop their own character.

“We give (the actors) leeway with the characters because we figure they’ll be more comfortable creating the characters themselves instead of us making them be someone they can’t be,” Morin said.

“As long as (the actors) stay within the guidelines of what we wrote, we’re pretty liberal with what they’re allowed to portray,” Klein added.

Klein and Morin held auditions on Labor Day weekend to fill the four leads and to find people for guest roles.

“It was a pretty hard decision,” Klein said. “We spent about 30 hours just in auditions.”

Morin said he and Klein had to be willing to change and adapt what they wanted in terms of actors.

“What you want and what people can supply are different things,” Morin said. “Some people brought different aspects that ended up being more beneficial to the characters.”

Most of the cast will not be pursuing an acting career.

“I’m not really hoping that it’ll lead to anything serious, or I’ll become a serious actor,” said Elisha Reichert, senior in LAS who plays the female lead Kristi Vanderbilt. “It’s just a fun thing to do.”

On the other hand, Kevin Zaideman, sophomore in FAA, hopes that his part in “One Fine Day!” will further his acting career.

“What really helps an actor from my standpoint right now is independent school projects,” said Zaideman, who plays the male lead Steven Thompson. “Student type stuff I do will help beef up my resume and help me apply (for agent representation).”

Both Reichert and Zaideman are excited to see what the show will look like once everything is done.

“While I’m reading the script I try to picture what it would be like in my head, but sometimes I can’t picture what Derek is trying to convey,” Zaideman said. “I’m anxious and excited to see how the finished product is going to turn out.”

Klein’s original intention for the show was to get some experience in his field and build a portfolio.

But after mentioning the project to one of his professors, he may be getting credit in one of his classes for the show.

Morin, on the other hand, is participating for the experience and partly to discredit some common notions of resident advisors.

“A lot of residents look at RAs sometimes as parents and say they don’t know how to have fun and that they’re always pissy,” Morin said. “(But) there is a reason they don’t get sleep all night, because (if) something goes on they have to take care of it. They’re people too.”