Student nutrition lacking

By Jim Vorel

For every student on campus that chooses a healthy diet, there are others who subsist on the stereotypical diet of a college student. Ramen noodles and beer, pizza that has been sitting out for a few days and deep-fried Twinkies. The list goes on and on.

Most students realize that in a generalized sort of way, this sort of eating is vaguely “unhealthy.” Sometimes they even swear off the unhealthy eating. And yet tomorrow, they’re back on the horse, sitting in front of the TV with a pint of Chunky Monkey to get them through this week’s episode of “Rock of Love.”

Many students see unhealthy eating as an eventuality, something that they do not really have a choice in.

Kiley McCormack, a fifth-year senior in LAS who was eating lunch in the basement of the Illini Union, said that she would be feeling miserable for the rest of the day after she digested her Sbarro stromboli, the only food item she eats at the Illini Union.

“I know it’s unhealthy, but it’s impractical to eat healthy because I don’t cook,” McCormack said. “Unless you get a salad every day, there just aren’t a ton of healthy choices. I don’t really even know whether the salads are that healthy to begin with, either.”

She added that she wished that she could add more fresh fruits and vegetables to her diet, but that she didn’t know where a student would be able to get fresh, healthy foods when on a one-hour lunch break between classes. McCormack also added that, while she would like to, she doesn’t expect to improve her eating habits anytime soon.

“I don’t really ever see myself changing, unless I get to be like 300 pounds,” she said laughing, “I eat by convenience. I wish it were different. If you don’t bring your own lunch, you’re out of luck.”

Unknown to many students, however, are some of the tools that the University makes available to try and teach students about maintaining a healthier diet.

Certified dieticians and nutritionists can be found at the McKinley Health Center, and students can make appointments to discuss their health-related concerns and receive advice on how to change their eating habits for the better.

Bethni Ruot, a certified nutritionist at the McKinley Center said that students come in to speak with her about issues ranging from how to manage their diabetes to how to get in shape and lose a few pounds for swimsuit season. She added that many college students are woefully misguided about proper nutrition.

“One of the biggest problems for most students is simply overeating,” Ruot said. “College students tend to eat huge quantities at a time. Another factor is the odd hours they do their overeating at. Eating half a pizza before going to bed is just a bad idea, period. You’re not going to burn any of those calories.”

One of the less obvious factors that Ruot suggested plays a part in stereotypical student diets is stress. In living the high-stress life of a student at a rigorous university, she said, some students eat as a way to get away from what they should be doing or even just eat without really realizing that they’re doing it.

Some students also snack instead of eating regular meals because they don’t want the increased stress of having to prepare their own meals.

“Snacking a lot is a big culprit,” she said. “Students don’t realize how the snacks that they eat throughout the day – which is likely to be really bad fatty or salty junk food – add up.”

Ruot also said that the cost and inconvenience of buying food like fresh fruits and vegetables prevents students from getting both of these necessary groups, however, it is still possible for students to eat healthy on campus.

“When a student comes into McKinley to discuss this with a dietician, we look at what they’re eating, and we tweak the way they do things,” she said. “We can help students find healthier ways to go about their day, and it will improve the quality of their lives.”

She went on to say that healthier eating can lead to higher energy and more attentiveness, as well as increasing the chance for long-term health.

Despite any amount of available help for changing student eating habits, however, it will likely be a slow process. Students at the University live on a campus inundated and surrounded by fast food and unhealthy eating options that tempt them daily.

Shannon Leonard, sophomore in LAS, said that she ate out at unhealthy places as an escape from dining hall food.

“When I go home, I eat a lot better than I do when I’m here,” said Leonard, as she delicately used a knife and fork to carve a massive and ungainly piece of Sbarro pizza.

“I think I definitely feel healthier when I’m at home because I know I’m eating healthier,” she said. “When I come back here, I feel worse because I don’t eat the vegetables in the dining hall. I don’t even trust them.”

And though she has yet to have a bout with scurvy, she realizes that her eating habits could use some work. She said that she would like to find a healthier diet.

Between the health specialists at McKinley and the many student groups devoted to healthy eating, perhaps Leonard, and students like her, may find nourishment yet.