Don’t expect a Grammy says Gore, having triumphed at both Oscars and Emmys

By Jake Coyle

NEW YORK – Though his documentary won an Oscar and he now has an Emmy, Al Gore doesn’t rate his chances high for a Grammy.

“I’m working on my dance steps and singing performance, but don’t hold your breath,” the former vice president said with a laugh Monday, speaking by phone from Los Angeles.

But it might have sounded equally ludicrous five years ago to suggest that Gore would, in one calendar year, receive standing ovations at both the Academy Awards and the Emmys. At Sunday night’s Emmy ceremony, Gore and Joel Hyatt were honored for creative achievement in interactive television for the cable channel they founded, Current TV.

This follows the best documentary Oscar that “An Inconvenient Truth” won earlier this year. The film chronicles Gore’s campaign to educate people on global warming. For the same cause, Gore helped organize Live Earth this summer, a series of global concerts held to raise awareness for climate change.

“It reminds me a little bit of the old cliche about the country singer who said, `It’s taken me 30 years to be an overnight sensation,'” said Gore. “In each one of them, I’ve had great partners.”

Hyatt said Gore remains thoroughly involved in Current TV, the network the two founded in 2005. Current TV predated the sensation caused by YouTube, but operated with a similar mission. Its viewer-created “pods” – short video segments that usually run about five minutes in length – make up about a third of its programming.

“We’re pleased that the Academy (of Television Arts & Sciences) emphasized the category,” said Hyatt. “In putting that category into its prime-time broadcast, it’s acknowledging that’s the direction TV is heading.”

“Al and I set out from the very beginning to open up television, to share the power of the TV platform with our young adult audience, to enable young adults to contribute to the content they consume.”

The fast-growing Current TV now claims to be in more than 50 million homes worldwide. It also plans to relaunch its Web site next month, which Hyatt says will be a considerable evolution for Current.

“We are really excited about this recognition of the creative work of the thousands of young people who actually made the content,” said Gore.