Pygmalion attracts old, new fans alike

photo Courtesy of Shipwreck Erica Magda

photo Courtesy of Shipwreck Erica Magda

By Jim Vorel

There is a Greek myth about a sculptor who created the world’s most beautiful woman out of ivory. Enamored by his creation, the man became saddened that his love was not a real woman. Distressed, he prayed to Venus, who granted his wish and brought his creation to life.

The story did not die with Greek myth; it was re-written into the play “Pygmalion” by George Bernard Shaw and is known even today in its most modern incarnation as the Audrey Hepburn classic film “My Fair Lady.” The basis of the story remains the same; beauty is discovered, and with help, is shown to the world. And this week, Pygmalion comes to Champaign-Urbana.

Today, Pygmalion has little to do with sculptures or cockney, and everything to do with music. This week, the Pygmalion Music Festival is kicking off its third annual appearance in the Champaign-Urbana area. The festival is a showcase of indie-rock meant to celebrate music and show off the beautiful discoveries made in the local indie-rock scene: taking place during four nights across eight venues with 72 musical acts.

“For those who aren’t aware, indie-rock was meant to be a place where music fans could develop followings and crushes on bands that were outside the mainstream,” said Seth Fein, University alumnus and the creator of the festival. “I developed the Pygmalion Music Festival as an annual celebration of rock and indie-rock in our town and to show off the best things going on in area music.”

Fein himself is no stranger to the music business. While at the University, he played in a band named Absinthe Blind that eventually broke up to become the popular Champaign County group, Headlights.

Fein said that he wanted an invitation to Pygmalion to be something for local groups to strive for, and a showing of the best talent in the area.

“It’s pretty easy to call indie fans in general, elitists,” Fein said. “But it’s just a scene that wants to be on the cutting edge. They’re discriminating music listeners. They know what they do and don’t like.”

Fein continued to praise the Champaign-Urbana music scene, and said that it had created dozens of great musical groups and was extremely active for a town of its size.

“The Champaign-Urbana musical scene is amazing, it’s loaded with talent,” Fein said. “Pygmalion tries to give any student an opportunity to see what is going on in the music world.”

While students will come to the show to see big-name performers like Okkervil River or Andrew Bird, the festival will give students a chance to also see local groups they may not have heard of.

One of these local groups is Shipwreck, whose band members are central Illinois natives.

The group will perform at Pygmalion for its third straight year; all four members are former University students.

Singer John Owen said that he thought that Pygmalion was a great way for students who didn’t know where to begin checking out area music to start.

“People tend to think that music happens far away from them,” Owen said. “Once you know a group then they’re probably too big to be stopping by a smaller city like this,” Owen said.

He added that the festival is a great opportunity to see newer bands who may some day make it big, and the shows with those up-and-comers “stick with you.”

He also said that he is looking forward to the chance to play with the other bands.

“We get psyched to play with some great groups and see great groups play too,” said Owen. “We’re music fans as well, and it’s absolutely amazing to play with some of these groups that are pushing the envelope.”

The Pygmalion Music Festival begins tonight.

Students attending the festival are looking forward to appreciating the music and discovering new tastes, said Caroline Thrun, junior in LAS.

She said that she was attending Pygmalion for the first time to see Andrew Bird’s show, but that she was ready to expand her musical horizons.

“I’m starting to get into the scene (Champaign-Urbana music), but I don’t really know a lot of the bands that are going to be playing,” Thrun said. “I guess this is my chance to explore what’s out there.”

More information can be found at 2007.pygmalionmusicfestival.com/schedule/

Pygmalion Music Festival 2007 Venue Schedule

(Headlining bands listed only):

Wednesday, Sept. 19

The Canopy Club: Okkervil River, 8 p.m., $15

Thursday, Sept. 20

The Canopy Club: Roses and Sake, 8 p.m., $8

Cowboy Monkey: Krukid with Pulsar 47, 9 p.m., $7

Mike n’ Molly’s: Terminus Victor, 8 p.m., $5

Friday, Sept. 21

Krannert Center: Andrew Bird, 7 p.m., $20 (All Ages)

Denison Witmer, 10 p.m., Free (All Ages)

The Canopy Club: Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s, 8 p.m., $12

The Highdive: The Living Blue, 8 p.m., $8

Mike n’ Molly’s: Probably Vampires, 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. (if raining), $5

Soma: ?uestlove, 9 p.m., price TBA (ages 21+)

Saturday, Sept. 22

The Canopy Club: Headlights, 8 p.m., $10

Cowboy Monkey: Elsinore, 9 p.m., $7

Mike n’ Molly’s: Mit’n, 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. (if raining), $5

Caffe Paradiso: Owen, 6 p.m., $10 (All Ages)

The Courtyard Cafe: Via Audio, 8 p.m., $5

Dates and venues courtesy of: http://2007.pygmalionmusicfestival.com/schedule/