C-U dancing troupe hits the 3 Spot

Members of the 3 Spot Dance Troupe practice their dances Tuesday night at the Lincoln Hall Theater. The Troupe will perform its tunes on Saturday at the venue. Erica Magda

By Missy Smith

Driving down the interstate and embarking on a road trip can be a freeing experience. With each mile, the distance grows between where you began and where you are, as you approach your destination. The wind whips through the windows and good music blares from the stereo, clearing the mind of any worries.

It does not matter how you get there, all that matters is that you get to your destination.

Road Trip with 3 Spot Dance Troupe, which will perform Saturday at 7 p.m., brings feel good tunes to Lincoln Hall in its semester performance. Rachel Specht, senior in LAS and president, said the group picked the theme as a group, after everyone suggested ideas. Once that was figured out, members began to pick songs and dances to fit into the theme.

“The members audition their dances and the troupe votes on what dances they would like to most perform,” Specht said. “It is definitely a democracy.”

Specht added that the board will then organize members into dances; preparations are under way for the semester’s show.

Overall, there are 14 dances including swing, lyrical, jazz, tap, ballet, salsa, funk, ballroom, precision, hip-hop and modern. All of these are choreographed by the student members.

Stephanie Poquette, sophomore in Communications, has been involved in 3 Spot since she arrived on campus, and last year she choreographed one of the dances.

“This semester I’m just dancing,” Poquette said. “I am in five dances which is the most you can be in, but the average is about three or four dances.”

Poquette said she learns the dances quickly, in about a month and a half, but that is not necessary to be a member of 3 Spot. The group accepts members from a wide range of talents and experience.

Kristen Schramm, junior in ACES, joined 3 Spot because she knew a few women involved in it. She claimed to be a slow learner when it comes to dancing, but that did not stop her from being in more than one dance. In fact, Schramm is participating in four dances, her favorite of which was choreographed by her roommate.

“We are dancing to ‘Hurricane’ by Something Corporate,” Schramm said. “We get to wear dresses, and I like it a lot.”

Specht said that the costume choices are picked at the choreographers’ discretion. They choose what they think fits best with the song and the dance and the costumes and props are then made or purchased. A grand finale will bring an end to the show, which Schramm choreographed some of.

Members invite the campus to make 3 Spot a student destination this Saturday, and invite them to come travel with 3 Spot because they aim to make it “unpredictable, unrestricted and unlike anything else.”