Urbana media center festival aims to raise funds

By Vince Dixon

Live bands, independent films, art exhibits and catered food will all be included in the Independent Media Center Fest this year. The event will feature more than 36 local and national bands and many independent showcases. It begins Friday and runs until Sunday at the Independent Media Center, 202 S. Broadway Ave., Urbana.

The activities highlight the benefits of the media center’s service, which include providing performing space, support and advertising for local independent artists.

Dan Blah, volunteer coordinator of IMC Fest 2007, said the fest is entirely volunteer run and hopes to raise money to improve the center’s programs.

“The purpose of the event is to raise money for IMC and its various projects.” Blah said.

The music covers a large variety of genres, from punk and hip-hop to pop and blues.

Among the scheduled performers are Mars, Vanattica and Shirley King, daughter of blues singer B.B. King.

The fest will be held at the center’s main headquarters in downtown Urbana. The space holds up to 800 people and is used throughout the year to showcase independent bands.

Organizers say the fest is for all ages, and they expect at least 300 people for each day of the fest.

Nichole Avery, freshman in ACES, said she is excited about the fest.

“This will be my first time attending the fest, so I am really excited about going,” Avery said. “The IMC Fest is a wonderful event because it showcases different bands and at the same time is raising money.”

While music and bands will be featured, political activists will also be present at the festival to discuss politics and society. To coincide, the celebration will also host a screening of several short films and documentaries that tackle similar issues. “Zeitgeist” focuses on the activist community and its relationship to politics. It will be shown before the musical performances each day of the festival.

Blah said such a variety of activities will encourage the public to become involved with local arts and perhaps create its own.

“I would really hope that people get involved with not only IMC, but the local arts scene,” Blah said. “Just know that it’s easy to produce your own media.”

Included in the festival’s schedules are art shows that will feature the paintings, murals and photography of local artists. A live drywall painting and mural construction will be presented, including the exhibits of six artists.

The 40-plus volunteers helping with the fest say they are helping for the betterment of the media center.

Tommy Griscom, a volunteer and band coordinator, agrees.

“It’s a good feeling,” he said. “We’re not expecting any money. All of this is for the benefit of IMC.”

The overall goal of the media fest is to raise money for the organizations, but event organizers will also use the event to celebrate the fourth anniversary of WRFU FM, the center’s radio station that gives independent artists and media center members their own radio shows. WRFU will simulcast the entire celebration on its station and will give away free tickets and prizes in honor of the station’s birthday.

Though the entire event took six months to plan, Blah and organizers admit that the task was fairly simple.

“I was actually surprised,” Blah said. “Everything seems to have fallen into place.”

Tickets can be purchased at the Canopy Club, That’s Rentertainment video store and Record Swap. They are $10 each day and $20 for the entire weekend. For more information and schedules, visit http://shows.ucimc.org/imcfest.