Children’s Holiday Shop has spirit of giving

By Hannah Hess

var UniqueNameFO = { movie:”http://media.dailyillini.com/media/2007/12/07_holidays/lights.swf”, width:”468″, height:”100″, majorversion:”8″, build:”0″, xi:”true” };

UFO.create(UniqueNameFO, “di_inline_flash”);

Get macromedia Flash Player

Islands may seem an unlikely topic for the blustery Illinois holiday season, but there is nothing tropical about the “Island of Safety” Crisis Nursery creates for child victims of abuse and neglect. Actually, the avalanche of gift buying that occurs each winter helps keep the “Island of Safety” in operation.

Crisis Nursery’s Children’s Holiday Shop continues its 15-year fundraising tradition this weekend in Lincoln Square Mall. The supervised mini-market caters strictly to bargain hunters 12 and under looking for the perfect present for their loved ones.

“They come in with a wish list and pocket full of money, and a volunteer helps them shop for the specific items they want for Mom, Dad, brothers, sisters, teachers and friends,” said Ginny Dewar, executive director of Crisis Nursery. “It’s a really good lesson for them to say, ‘I’ve got 20 dollars and five people to shop for.'”

Tables are stocked with merchandise purchased by the funding from community sponsors. The treasures priced from $1 to $7 fit the little shoppers’ budget perfectly, so well that many want to part with a few greenbacks for some personal indulgences.

“It’s hard for kids to shop without wanting to buy something for themselves, so we give away prizes when they leave,” Dewar said.

Also near at hand to keep the kiddie consumers on task are shopper helpers. One volunteer shopper helper is placed with each child to administer a watchful eye while parents wait outside. Responsibilities include staying with the tot, making sure the needs of his list are fulfilled, and ensuring that he doesn’t overspend.

Crisis Nursery Board members, who raise $30,000 for nursery operations from the shopping spree, work as cashiers and managers of the shop, but only helpers are one on one with the children. During the three weekends the event spans, more than 400 community volunteers, including University and Parkland students, are utilized.

Volunteer Coordinator Kim Gollings said in an e-mail that the list of volunteer groups includes fraternities, sororities and many other Registered Student Organizations.

Some groups have an extensive history of volunteering at the fundraiser.

“The student-athletes have been coming for years,” Gollings stated.

Kappa Delta Sorority members promote the Holiday Shop as an extension of their philanthropy to Crisis Nursery.

“It’s fulfilling,” said Allison Povse, junior in Communications and a member of Kappa Delta. “You feel like a big sister to the kids you help.”

Another important donation comes from Schnucks. The grocery chain provides wrapping in the form of gift bags. Red wrappings are decorated for Christmas, blue for Hanukkah, all by another network of volunteers before the event.

Generosity is essential to the success of the Children’s Holiday Shop. It is also a value organizers hope to instill in the children who buy from the mini-mall.

Crisis Nursery’s concept is simple, as it is stated on its Web site, “As they leave the shop, children are always full of pride with the items they have picked out all on their own. And tucked away into all the fun, is the message that it is just as great to give as it is to receive!”