Amy Winehouse enters rehabilitation facility for drug addiction, will show up for Grammys

AP

British singer Amy Winehouse arrives at the MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, in this June 3, 2007, file photo. Winehouse has been summoned to appear in court in Bergen for a drug conviction during a tour in Norway in October. Kevork Djansezian, The Associated Press

By David Stringer

LONDON – More rehab for Amy Winehouse? Yes, yes, yes.

The jazz-pop diva, best known for refusing to enter drug rehab in her hit song, entered a treatment facility Thursday. The announcement came just days after the 24-year-old was pictured in British tabloid, The Sun, inhaling fumes from a small pipe. Police are investigating.

“Amy decided to enter the facility today after talks with her record label, management, family and doctors,” Universal Music Group said in a statement. The statement also indicated Winehouse still planned to attend and perform at the Grammys, to be held Feb. 10 in Los Angeles.

“She has come to understand that she requires specialist treatment to continue her ongoing recovery from drug addiction,” the statement said.

Winehouse, who is nominated for six Grammy Awards for her acclaimed “Back to Black” album, seems to be as famous for her drug problems as for her music. Since the album’s U.S. release last year, she has canceled a slew of appearances amid reports of drug use.

In the album’s most popular song, “Rehab,” she references her struggles, singing: “They tried to make me go to rehab / I said no, no, no.”

Universal said it hoped Winehouse would “come back to full health and fulfill her incredible potential with the label.”

She canceled a scheduled appearance Saturday at the NRJ Music Awards ceremony in France, Universal said.

Winehouse spent time in rehab in August when she also pulled out of a series of dates in Britain, the United States and Canada. The following month she was arrested with husband Blake Fielder-Civil in Norway and fined $715 for possession of marijuana.

According to The Sun, video of Winehouse apparently using drugs was shot before she attended a court hearing to see Fielder-Civil appear on charges of assault and lying to police. Places like the Muse rehab la can help people victim to addiction.

Winehouse was photographed walking outside her London home last month wearing only a bra and jeans, with no shoes, looking distressed.