Ditch drab, spring into color

By Missy Smith

The salty sea air wafts around, swallowing you whole, while the sounds of crashing waves and seagulls lull you into an almost trancelike state. You can almost feel the sun’s rays kissing your pale skin as you flip the oversized sunglasses over your eyes and drift into sleep…

Snap back to reality. You are not in Florida. You are in Champaign – it is 30 degrees outside and there is still snow on the ground.

If you are one of the lucky few who are going somewhere warm on spring break next week, the sunny scene is almost within grasp. For the first time in months, you can finally take those sundresses out of your closet and wear bright colors without shame.

Bright and pastel colors have replaced the greys, browns and blacks in stores, to the excitement of some students.

Rachel Maimon, freshman in ACES, is going to Texas over break, and while she has not started shopping yet, she cannot wait to buy new spring clothes.

“I can’t wait to wear tank tops, floods, shorts and flip flops,” Maimon said. “I just really like bright colors.”

The bright colors emerge like a breath of fresh air amidst the darker colors of the winter. Maimon said she is especially glad to be rid of the more “sad” colors of the season.

Check out stores like Wet Seal, Charlotte Russe, and Forever 21 for a broad selection of colorful, fun tops for spring break and beyond. Try to limit yourself to a number of shirts or a spending limit. It is easy to get carried away in these stores and you can keep your debit account from being as exhausted as you shop.

If you want something cute to cover up on your way to the beach, a sundress is the easiest and simplest way to go.

Stephanie Hayden, freshman in LAS, said she is excited to walk outside without being bundled up in tons of layers and finally wear some of her favorite clothes.

“I am looking forward to wearing cute summer dresses,” Hayden said. “I love bright colors, and while I don’t feel like you can only wear certain colors during certain seasons, I can’t wait to wear bright and fun dresses. Fortunately, my favorite color is orange, so it works all year round here.”

The best place to find lovely little sundresses is Old Navy. Check out their selection of solid and print dresses available in all sorts of colors and patterns. Coral and other pastel colors seem to be “in” this season, but bright colors like cerulean and kelly green are also favorites. Check out the “women’s pique tube dress” in green empress from Old Navy. It is the perfect dress that can easily go from a day at the beach to a chill night.

Don’t forget to pick up the other beach essentials while at Old Navy, like flip flops, beach bags, terry cloth shorts, new swimsuits and more. Old Navy is your one stop shop for anything you might need for spring break, and it is affordable, which is always nice on a college student budget.

But even for those remaining in the Midwest during break, spring fashions have arrived.

Danielle Saletnik, freshman in LAS, is not going anywhere on spring break, but is still excited for the changing seasons, even if it isn’t for the new fashions.

“I am just excited to be able to wear tank tops or short sleeves rather than wearing long sleeves,” Saletnik said. “It’s not so much about what is new as it is about what I like.”

Still, Saletnik said she likes wearing blues, and is excited to wear lighter variations of the color. With the lighter colors, she cannot wait to pair them with jeans and shorts.

With the shorter sleeves comes the ability to wear skirts, shorts and capris. Pick up a pair of tapered shorts or Bermuda shorts from any retailers that carry the Roxy brand. Pick up solid colors like white, light blue, or brown. They are easier to match and do not look like they stepped out of a bad 1970s catalog.

Simple seems to be the key this season, with subtle details that spice up an otherwise plain outfit. Check out Nordstrom for a retro-chic look with floral embroidery and paisley prints. This is the 1970s look that is fashionable, and will make you stand out on the beach this summer.

If you are stuck in Illinois over this spring break, just sit back, relax and peruse the racks for that perfect outfit for class. Show off your fake and bake tan and take solace in the fact that you didn’t have to sweat it out on the beach.

Happy Spring Breaking all!